Give Back to the LGBT Center
As a center we are grateful for the university's support of our mission of “creating a university environment and community inclusive, supportive, and celebratory of sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, and queerness.” The financial contributions from our allies help us ensure that the “best student-centered learning experience” is inclusive of students of all sexual and gender diversities.
If you would like to be involved in the center through a donation, below are 3 different funds that you can support.
- The Wayne Hadley Travel Award: This scholarship is awarded twice-annually to undergraduate LGBTQ+ students participating in curricular travel experiences, including study abroad opportunities, service trips, and academic conferences. Initiated in 2013 by OHIO alum John R. Corlett, this award is named in honor of John's friend and freshman hall mate Wayne Hadley (’81), who passed away from AIDS-related causes in 1992. Wayne, who was an elementary school teacher from Cincinnati, Ohio, was active in the national AIDS healing movement and came out as gay during his time at Ohio University. To celebrate this memory, the Wayne Hadley Travel Award provides "financial support to [LGBTQ+] students who can often face ostracism from their parents and families because of the decision to come out.”
- Tom and Jan Hodson Emergency Student Support Fund: Retired Honors Tutorial College Assistant Dean Jan Hodson and her husband Tom Hodson, current WOUB Public Media General Manager started this fund in response to interactions with students trying to come to grips with their own sexual and gender identities as well as fears related to telling their families. The fund was created to offer support to LGBT students who experience financial hardship or crisis after coming out to their families and being cut off, making it difficult for them to continue their education or pay their rent. To learn more about the Hodsons' story, read their article in OHIO's Compass.
- Pride Fund (formerly the Human Rights Allies Fund): The Pride Fund provides additional support to the programs and services of the LGBT Center that help “improve the campus life and educational experiences” of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and ally students. Examples of how this fund has been used include expanding our resource library of books and films, offsetting some of the financial burden on students attending LGBT conferences, and contributing to invited guest speakers’ costs/honoraria.
If you would like to make a gift to any of these funds:
- Select what type of gift you would like to make
- You will have to type the name of the fund you wish to support into the gift designation box marked “OTHER” (the various LGBT funds are not part of the dropdown menu/listing)
- Click here to make a gift.
- If you have questions about the process or require assistance, contact the Office of Annual Giving at 800-592-3863 or firstname.lastname@example.org.