- Students will be able to think critically and effectively express their views in written and verbal communication.
- Students will develop the requisite knowledge and skills for contemporary world citizenship.
- Students will have a basic understanding of national and world politics as well as the broad discipline of political science.
- Students will gain that particular sense of exploration that comes from mastering a given area of study.
- Students will receive effective advice and preparation for their post-college life, including success in achieving jobs or advanced study. They will have access to career-oriented programs in teaching, law, foreign service, or public administration.
The goals of the M.A. program in political science are similar to those of the B.A. except that there is considerably greater focus on pre-professional training in a specialized area of political science. M.A. students will be prepared for the following:
entrance into Ph.D. programs in political science
- entrance into law schools
- entrance into the public service
- upgrading credentials of persons working in secondary education and the public service.
Master of Public Administration students will be prepared for careers in the public service at the local, state, and federal levels.