Ohio University

Search within:

Advising and Student Services

Student Services Remote Location Contact Information

Phyllis Lanier
Interim Enrollment & Student Services Manager
Email: hughesp@ohio.edu
Office phone:

Jaime Cox
Advising and Retention Specialist, Student Services

Cindy L. Mayle
Administrative Specialist/Cashier
Email: maylec@ohio.edu
Office phone: 740-681-3311


Financial Aid

Martha Tanedo, Assistant Director of Regional Financial Aid, RHE Student Services
Primary at Chillicothe and Lancaster
Secondary at Southern, Zanesville, Eastern
tanedo@ohio.edu | 740-774-7733

Vicki DeLucas, Assistant Director of Regional Financial Aid, RHE Student Services
Primary at Zanesville and Eastern
Secondary at Lancaster, Chillicothe, Southern
delucas@ohio.edu | 740-588-1441

Jacki Adkins, Assistant Director of Regional Financial Aid, RHE Student Services
Primary at Southern
Secondary at Chillicothe, Lancaster, Zanesville, Eastern
adkinsj@ohio.edu | 740-533-4603

Contact Student Services staff via Microsoft Teams

  1. Log into your Catmail through an internet browser.
  2. Find the App Launcher, the nine dot square in the upper left corner.
  3. Click “Teams” on that list.  This will open Teams in your browser.  You can download the computer app by clicking the download icon on the bottom left of the Team screen or use Teams right from your browser.
  4. Click “Chat” on the left side.
  5. Find the “New Chat” icon, the square with the pencil in it.  Click that icon.
  6. Begin typing the name of the person you need to reach.
  7. From there you can chat using the messenger or click the video camera or phone meeting.  If the person is unavailable he/she/they will receive a notification that you attempted contact.

Ohio University Lancaster Campus has a number of advisors to help students navigate their way through their education.  These advisors have knowledge of the courses required for the degree programs they advise, knowledge of the Schedule of Classes, and knowledge of outside resources (i.e., tutoring, career counseling, etc.).  As a result, they are instrumental in helping students successfully plan their academic program, review course selections, and monitor and evaluate progress toward their educational goals.

Advisors are also available to assist students with any difficulties or obstacles they may encounter (i.e., academic difficulties, goal setting, referrals for personal problems, etc.).

If you need assistance, contact Student Services at 740-681-3311.

Ohio University Lancaster Campus
Student Services Office
1570 Granville Pike
Lancaster, OH 43130

Choosing a Major

You are not alone if you are an "Undecided" student. Twenty-five percent of OHIO students begin as undecided. It is okay to be undecided;  however, it takes time to collect the information to make a careful choice of major.  Additionally, it's difficult to stay motivated to go to class and earn the best possible grades if you don't have a clear goal.  This is why the Student Services staff at Ohio University Lancaster encourages you to begin the process of research and self-reflection early and throughout your academic career.  The following PowerPoint presentation is used in undecided student workshops and is a good tool for beginning the process of selecting a major that fits.

Undecided Workshop [PPT]

Undecided Workshop [PDF]

Frequently Asked Questions

Why should I meet with my advisor?

Academic advising is a central part of your education experience at Ohio University.  Your advisor will not choose courses for you, but will assist you in planning a course of study, in preparing an appropriate schedule of classes each semester to fulfill your academic plan.

When to meet with your advisor?
  • Scheduling
  • Academic Concerns
What to bring to advising appointment?
  • Current Degree Audit Report (DARS)
  • Tentative Schedule
  • Questions
General Advising Guidelines
  • Meet with your academic advisor regularly
  • Utilize faculty office hours
  • Make appointments in advance- don’t wait until the last minute-then put the appointment on your calendar and don’t forget it!  Cancel in advance if you are unable to attend.
  • Turn off your cell phone
  • Bring specific questions and prepare for your appointment
  • Do not expect your advisor to choose your courses
Priority Registration Hold

All undergraduate students have a priority registration advising hold placed on their account each semester, which will be released by your assigned advisor at your advising appointment.

Who to see for advising

Your assigned advisor:  Your assigned advisor may be found in your Student Center.

How to Schedule an Appointment with an Advisor

Faculty Advisors

Faculty schedule their own appointments.  You may find faculty contact information in the Faculty and Staff Directory

Student Services Advisors

To schedule an appointment, please call Student Services at 740.681-3311 or appointments may be made in person at the Student Services’ front desk.

  • Kim Jeffers
  • Phyllis Lanier
  • Pamela Allen
How to declare a major?

Transfer requirements are subject to change. Contact the college or school office, or check their website for the most up-to-date information. If your major program is listed as undecided and you wish to declare a major, or if you would like to change your major, you will need to visit the college in which the major is offered to see if you meet entry requirements.

The OHIO Guide is where you can read more about requirements for particular majors.

How do I change my major?

You must complete an Update of Program form, which is available in the Student Services office, to officially change your major.  You must meet all transfer/selective admission requirements for the major.   If you do not meet the requirements, your Update of Program form will not be processed.

Update of Program forms are processed the first two weeks of each semester.

How to Add & Drop a Class
What is a DARS?

DARS stands for “Degree Audit Reporting System”. The DARS is a checklist which outlines the required courses for a degree.  The DARS is specific to each student, so you should not follow a DARS printed for someone else. DARS are updated every semester.

DARS reports can be found in your Student Center under “Student Services Links”

Watch the Video: https://app.box.com/embed/preview/zzab7dnyxjjmyslkqhbgohxmscfjclxe?direction=ASC&theme=dark

What is a "What-If" DARS?

Often students want to know what courses they would need to complete if they changed their major. If you want to explore other majors and see how your completed/current coursework fits into the new major, you can run a “What-if” DARS for the new major. What-if DARS are available under “Student Services Links” Advising Center (My DARS/TDCPs) “What-if” DARS do not officially change your major.

What classes do I take if I'm Undecided major?

As an undecided student, you will take general education courses applicable to the Ohio University general education graduation requirements.

How is my GPA calculated?

The basis for determining a student’s scholastic standing is the grade point average (GPA).

This average is determined by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the total number of semester hours of credit attempted. For example, if a student earned a C (2.0) and a B (3.0) in each of two three–hour courses, first multiply the number of hours in each course by the grade point value for that grade (3 x 2 = 6 and 3 x 3 = 9) and add the grade points for each course together to find the total number of grade points (15). Then add the number of hours attempted (3 + 3 = 6) and divide the total number of grade points by the total hours attempted (15/6 = 2.5). The student’s GPA after completing the two classes would be 2.5. A student’s GPA is figured only on credit hours attempted—courses for which the student receives letter grades (A–F), FN (failure, never attended), or FS (failure, stopped attending). FN and FS have the same value as an F. Grades of P (pass) and CR (credit) represent hours earned but are not used to calculate the GPA.

What is academic probation?

A student is placed on academic probation when their cumulative grade point average drops below a 2.0 GPA.  To be removed from probation, your accumulative GPA must reach a 2.0.  While on academic probation, your academic progress will be reviewed after your next semester of courses.  If you have fewer than 90 semester credit hours earned and are not removed from probation, you will be continued on probation or academically dismissed.  To be continued on probation, you must either 1) Semester GPA at least 2.0 2) accumulative GPA equal to or greater than the minimum GPA defined by your total hours earned:

Total Hours Earned                         Minimum Accumulative GPA to be continued on Academic Probation

0 – 29.00                                                               1.6

30-59.99                                                                1.8

60-89.99                                                                1.9

What if the class I want/need to take is full?

You will not be able to register for the class without the instructor's permission. You ay email the instructor, using OU catmail, to ask the professor for his/her permission to enter the class. If the instructor gives you permission via email you must forward the string of emails to Amy Miller millera2@ohio.edu and include you name, PID#, class number, days and times of the course. If the instructor fills out a permission slip, it must be taken to the Student Services front desk.

Can I retake a class?

Yes, you may retake an undergraduate course for the purpose of improving the grade. Retakes are restricted to a maximum of two, in addition to the first attempt.  Withdrawals are not counted as an attempt.

Retaking the course removes the hours and the effect of the earlier grades from the calculation of the GPA. However, all grades appear on the permanent academic record (transcript). The last grade earned is the one used to calculate the GPA, even if it is lower than the earlier grade(s), and only the last instance’s credit hours are accepted toward any requirements for graduation.  Some graduate and professional schools will include all grades in their own calculations of the GPA when determining a student’s eligibility for admission, even though Ohio University calculates the GPA by using only the last grade in a retaken course.

Courses taken at Ohio University and retaken at another university are not eligible for grade point adjustment under this policy.