Sign Up for Auditions
INTO THE WOODS AUDITIONS
Ohio University Lancaster Theatre will hold spring auditions for its upcoming community theatre production of the musical “Into the Woods.”
Special production support provided by The Fairfield County Foundation, OHIO Arts Council, and OHIO University Lancaster Theatre Support Fund.
You can sign up for auditions beginning Friday, March 10, 2023
Auditions will be held on the following dates and times:
Friday, March 31 | 6 pm to 8:30 pm
Saturday, April 1 | 10 am to 1 pm
Callbacks - Saturday, April 1 | 2 pm to 4 pm
**There are limited audition slots available**
Ohio University Lancaster Theatre
1570 Granville Pike
Lancaster, Ohio 43130
PREPARING FOR AUDITIONS
Prepare a one minute or less song from the show. A song from the role that you would like to play in the show. You must provide your own recorded accompaniment/track for your audition on your phone. You may bring your own speaker or use our speaker for your recorded track. For example, if you are auditioning for The Baker’s wife, select one of her songs from the show and sing that. If your character does not have a full song in the show, please sing a section of the opening “Into The Woods.”
YouTube has a variety of tracks available from the show. Have your song cued up when you enter the theatre for your audition. You may be asked to do cold readings. Group movement auditions will follow your individual audition.
At callbacks, actors will be asked to sing additional songs from the show. Callback songs will be posted two weeks before auditions.
Here is what you need to prepare for auditions:
- One song from the show of the character you are auditioning for (not to exceed 1 minute)
- Dress comfortably for some easy movement
- Must be up to date on vaccinations and show proof of Covid-19 vaccinations
- List of all conflicts between May 19 - August 6, 2023
- We are specifically looking for a diverse cast, age 13 and older
- Please find the comedy in the show; this is a witty and funny piece from Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine. Watch the filmed Bernadette Peter’s version and listen to the audience’s laugher. You can also find funny and lighthearted moments online from the 2022 Broadway revival production.
- The role of Cinderella’s Prince and The Baker’s Wife have intimate scenes that involve rolling around together with kissing.
- The role of The Witch will handle flash paper, flash cotton, and handheld flash devices. The Actor will be trained to use all special effects. The actor will need to have a good core to do some illusions in the production.
Rehearsals begin Tuesday, May 30, 6 PM.
Not all cast members will be needed at all rehearsals.
The first two weeks will be focused on vocals: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, 6 PM - 9 PM, Saturdays, 10 AM - 2 PM, and Sundays, 12:30 PM - 4:00 PM.
Moving forward, the rehearsal times will remain the same, but not everyone will be needed at all rehearsals.
Tech week is Saturday, July 15 - Saturday, July 22, 2023.
All conflicts must be presented at the time of auditions. All cast members are required to be at tech week.
For more information on the show and roles go to https://www.mtishows.com/into-the-woods
As a cast member, you are expected to participate in events that promote the show: radio interviews, parades, festival events, and many more activities. Actors are responsible for providing their own make-up, costume accessories (costumes will be provided) and some personal props.
All cast members must abide by the rules and regulations established by Ohio University Lancaster. Cast and crew members will be asked to sign a photo release, a confidentiality agreement, and a morality clause.
We are currently looking for the following roles:
- Experienced Stage Manager (small stipend)
- Assistant Stage Manager
- Sound Assistant
- Lighting Board Operator
- Spotlight Operators (2)
Contact the director at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
You must be available for tech week Saturday, July 15 through Saturday, July 22 and all shows.
The Creative Team
Producer, Director, Conductor, Set Designer - A. Victor Jones
Vocal Director - Lauren Janoschka
Choreographer - Frances Gaskill
Lighting Design - Dale Harris
Consultant - Levi Donahue
Sunday, July 23, 2023 (Lancaster Festival Shows)
Thursday, August 3 - Sunday, August 6, 2023
*UPDATED INFORMATION: Actors must show proof of vaccinations when rehearsals begin, 5/30/23, and agree to weekly testing two weeks prior to performances. All OHIO Lancaster students and community members are welcome to audition. 13-17 year olds will need to provide a signed parental forms at the time of auditions.
"Into the Woods"
Music and Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, Book by James Lapine
“Into the Woods” is presented through special arrangement with Music Theatre International (MTI). All authorized performance materials are also supplied by MTI. www.mtishows.com