Social Security Application Tips
Please be aware these instructions reflect the current process for F and J students applying for a Social Security Number at the Athens Social Security Office. Due to the uncertainty regarding COVID-19 these instructions are subject to change.
- To apply for Social Security, you must be employed first (whether employed by Ohio University or otherwise).
- If you wish to work on-campus, go to ohiouniversityjobs.com and search for Student Employment. You should be able to apply for jobs there.
- Once you have obtained a job, use the ISFS Form Letter and the Supervisor Form Letter to do the following:
- Take or mail the Supervisor Form Letter to your supervisor. Ask them to photocopy the form letter onto their department letterhead (stationary) and fill out the form on your behalf and sign with an ink signature. They will then mail or give you the form back.
- Take the ISFS Form Letter to the ISFS office. We are open Tuesdays and Fridays from 9:30am-11:00am. The staff member at the front desk will check your enrollment and certify the letter. They will then give you the form back.
- Please note that you must be registered as a full-time student at Ohio University before we can certify your letter.
- Complete the SS-5 Application for Social Security. If you have questions on how to fill out the form, you can reach out to the Athens Social Security Office at 1-877-840-7683.
- Students should send copies of the following documents alongside the completed SS-5 and form letters to 743a East State Street, Athens, Ohio 45701.
Once the documents are reviewed, you will receive a telephone call from the team at the Athens SSN office. They will either let you know that they need additional or updated documents OR they will schedule your in-person appointment.
On the day of your appointment, the team from the Athens SSN office will call you to go over the COVID-19 screening questions. As long as you don’t have any indications of COVID-19 you can attend your appointment that day.
Please note that you must bring original documents to your interview at the SSN office. And all documents which have a signature must bear an original ink signature.
If move addresses at any time during the process of applying for Social Security, it is crucial that you let the Athens SSN office know right away.
We hope this helps with any questions or concerns you may have. If you have further questions you can contact the Athens SSN office by calling 1-877-840-7683.