Ohio University

Search within:

Current J-1 Students: Employment

On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment is defined as work done on the premises of the school. A J-1 student may be authorized to work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and up to 28 hours per week during summer and official University holiday breaks for on-campus employment.

You may request on-campus work authorization via iCats. We will need a copy of your job offer letter on Ohio University letterhead from the department on campus that wants to hire you. It must include your employment start date, employment end date, the number of hours per week, and your job title. You must receive new authorization for each period of employment (i.e. each semester or academic year).  Do not begin working until you have received authorization from ISFS.

Once you complete your academic program, you are no longer eligible for on-campus employment unless you have obtained employment authorization based on academic training.

Academic Training

Academic training is employment authorization for work related to a student's field of study. It can be issued for full-time or part-time employment. In order to be eligible:

  • You must have a job offer in your field of study and submit a completed Academic Training application to ISFS.
  • You must be completing a Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctoral degree program or have completed a semester or year at OHIO as an exchange student.
  • You must also be in good academic standing.

Time allotted for academic training may not exceed a period of time equal to your full course of study or 18 months, whichever is shorter. If you are working on a PhD program, you are allowed 36 months total of academic training. Completing multiple degrees does not increase the amount of time available to you for academic training. The training can take place during the academic program or after.

You can learn more about Academic Training by attending one of our Academic Training workshops. Register for an upcoming workshop in iCats, under “Session Sign-Ups”.

How To Apply

Log into iCats and submit the "Academic Training (AT) Request" eform, found under J-1 Student Services.  You will be required to upload PDF copies of the following documents:

  • Academic Training Recommendation Form completed by your Academic Advisor
  • Job offer letter which includes:
    • Name and address of the institution or company where the academic training will take place
    • Name and contact information of your supervisor
    • Position offered including a description of the experience
    • Specific employment start and end dates
    • Number of hours of academic training each week
    • Original signature

The offer must be printed on letterhead. Scanned copies of the letter are acceptable. However, we cannot accept offers made via email that do not contain a scanned letter.