Search within:

Dependents: F-2


Immigration regulations allow the following individuals to apply for an F-2 visa to accompany an F-1 student to the U.S.

  • Spouse*
  • Unmarried children under the age of 21

*Same-sex spouses can qualify for an F-2 visa if the marriage is “recognized in the place of celebration”. (Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs)

Other family members are not eligible for F-2 dependent status. However, they may be eligible to apply for a B-2 visa to allow them to accompany the student. For more information on the B-2 visa, please contact a US embassy/consulate.

Study Restrictions

Children in F-2 status may attend Kindergarten through 12th grade (the end of secondary education) full-time. Post-secondary study is only allowed on a part-time basis. ISSS is not required to monitor or report F-2 enrollment, and F-2 visa holders who wish to study part-time at OHIO do not need to get permission from ISSS.

Employment Restrictions

F-2 visa holders are not allowed to be employed under any circumstances. Volunteer work at local not-for-profit organizations is allowed.


An F-2 visa holder may travel with or without the F-1 student. The dependent will need to obtain a travel signature from ISSS, and will need to have a valid F-2 visa stamp in order to return to the US.