Dr. Rajindar K. Koshal
Professor Emeritus of Economics
Rajindar came to Delhi, India in 1947 as a refugee when India was divided into India and Pakistan. Raj received his Bachelor of Science from the University of Delhi in India and a Master’s Degree from the University of Gauhati in India. He furthered his education at the University of Rochester where he received a second Master’s Degree and Doctorate Degree in 1968. In 1965, he joined Ohio University, Athens, OHIO. He has been the recipient of several fellowships including of the research fellowship from the Indian Statistical Institute from 1971-72. In 1980 he was also the recipient of outstanding Graduate Faculty Award. He has received a number of times Irwin Distinguished paper award at the Midwest Business Economics Association Conference. He was President, Midwest Business Economics Association in 1992-93 and President of the Association of Economic Studies in 1999-2003. He got married to Manjulika Koshal in 1966 and she joined him in Athens in 1968. He was a professor of economics at Ohio University from 1974-2002 Raj is currently a professor emeritus of economics at Ohio University and continues to publish articles. Raj and Manjulika are the parents of two children Vinita and Vipin. They have five grandchildren.
PUBLISHED ECONOMICS PAPER TOPIC
- 1968 Ph.D. University Rochester USA
- 1965 MA University of Rochester (USA)
- 1957 MS University of Gauhati (India)
- 1954 BS University of Delhi (India)
Scholarships, Honors, Fellowships
- 2004 Listed in Who’s Who in the Social Sciences
- 2002-2003 Outstanding Leadership as President of the Athens Rotary Club
- 2000-2002 Outstanding Leadership and Contribution to the Development
Studies Program at Ohio University
- 2000 Irwin Distinguished Paper Award
- 1994 Irwin Distinguished Paper Award
- 1990 Irwin Distinguished Paper Award
- 1988 Nominated for Outstanding Graduate Faculty Award
- 1987 Nominated for Outstanding Teaching Award
- 1985 Nominated for Outstanding Graduate Faculty Award
- 1981 Ohio University Research Grant
- 1980 Outstanding Graduate Faculty Award
- 1978 Ohio University Research Grant
- 1976 Southeast Asia Travel Research Grant
- 1975 Ohio University, Research Grant
- 1975 American Philosophical Society, Research Grant
- 1975 National Science Foundation Faculty Research Participation Grant
- 1973 Ohio University Summer Research Grant
- 1971-72 Research Fellowship from the India Statistical Institute, Calcutta
- 1961-64 Fellowship for graduate work from the University of Rochester
- Board of Trustees, the Friends of India Endowment (1985-Present)
- Chairman of the Friends of India Endowment (1985-1995)
- President of the Athens Rotary Club (2002-2003)
- President of the Association of Indian Economic Studies (1999-present)
- President, Midwest Business Economics Association (1992-93)
- President elect, Midwest Business Economics Association (1991-92)
- Program Chairman, Midwest Business Economics Association, (1991-92)
- Vice President, Midwest Economics Association (1990-91)
- Member, Executive Committee, Midwest Economics Association (1987-90)
- Chairman, Industry Group, Association of India Economic Studies (1976-Present)
- Co-Chairman, undergraduate Conference Ohio Association of Economists and Political Science, (1975-1978)
- Member of the Council of the India Econometric Society (1970-73)
- American Economic Association, Indian Econometric Society
- India Economic Association, Regional Science Association
- Western Economic Association
- Eastern Economic Association
- Atlantic Economic Association
- Operational Society of America
- Association for Indian Economic Studies
- 2004 - Present Professor Emeritus of Economics
- 1974 - 2004 Professor of Economics, Ohio University
- 1972 - 1974 Associate professor of Economics, Ohio University
- 1971 - 1972 Visiting Professor, Indian Statistical Institute (Planning
Unit), New Delhi
- 1970 - 1971 Associate Professor of Economics, Ohio University
- 1965 - 1970 Assistant Professor of Economics, Ohio University
Taught Macroeconomics and Public Finance to Ph.D. students at the Indian Statistical Institute (Planning Unit). Taught Managerial Economics and Forecasting courses in the Ohio University Executive MBA Program; also taught Principles, intermediate and advanced economics, Economic History, Mathematics for Economists, and International Trade Courses. I have also taught Economic Development, Statistics, Econometrics, courses in the Quantitative Methods Department and Special Honors College Courses. I have taught a course in Economics in the MBA program. I also taught Economics of Transportation and Economics of Environment. In addition I taught courses in experienced Teacher Programs at a summer NSF institute. I also participated in a study abroad program in Italy in 1968. I have also taught Economics of Health Care.
- 2000 – 2002 Director, International Development Studies, Ohio University
- 1984 -1990 Graduate Program in Economics, Ohio University
- 1981-1984 Chairman, Department of Economics, Ohio University
- 1978-1980 Chairman, Graduate Program in Economics, Ohio University
Professional Work Experience
I worked for about five years with the planning Commission, Government of India. I was connected with various studies dealing with economic planning, especially transport planning. During the preparation of the Third Five Year Plan, I acquired practical experience in the formulation of plans. I drafted the railroad section in the Third Plan.
I was also associated with various studies undertaken by the Committee on Transport Policy and Coordination, which was set up by the Government of India in 1959 to recommend a long-term transport policy for the country with respect to various economic and other relevant factors; I assisted the Chairman on field trips and in discussions with various state governments.
Consultant for the Following Organizations
- General Research Corporation; McLean, Virginia
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- National Science Foundation; Member, Proposal Evaluating Panel
- Asian Development Bank; Manila, Philippines
- Princeton Economic Association; Princeton, NJ
- Asian Development Bank; Manila, Philippines
- William Lewis & Associates; Portsmouth, Ohio
- Katten, Muchin, Zavis, & Dombroff; Washington D.C.
- Applied Multivariate Analysis.” University Associates. Princeton, New Jersey. May, 1982.
- Development and Technology.” Ohio University. April, 1982.
- Multiple Time Series Forecasting.” University Associates. Princeton, New Jersey. June, 1981.
- Southern Ohio Faculty Forum on Energy.” Cleveland, Ohio. November 7-9, 1979.
- Symposium on Energy Technology and Society Computers Electronics.” Ohio University, October 15-16, 1979.
- Economics of Pollution.” National Science Workshop. University of Pittsburgh. July-August, 1973.
- Computer Workshop.” Bureau of Business and Economics; Boulder, Colorado. August, 1969.
- Economics of Steel.” Iron and Steel Institute & West Virginia University. Wheeling, West Virginia. April, 1969.
- Model Building.” Institute for Advanced Technology. March, 1969.