IEW Global Engagement Award Winners
- Through continued pandemic impacts, the IEW committee solicited nomination to celebrate OHIO’s collective efforts through a broad and inclusive celebration of all nominees within the categories of Faculty, Staff, Alumni, and Community.
- View all Videos and names of Nominees who were Recognized
- Tanaka-OHIO Award: Professor Nobuyuki Kawauchi, Professor, College of International Studies, Graduate School of Global Humanics, International Relations, Chubu University, Japan
- Following impacts of COVID-19, in lieu of Global Engagement Awards, the 2020 International Education Week annual celebration of OHIO's commitment to continued global engagement was hosted virtually November 16–20, 2020. Though in-person celebrations did not take place as in years past, opportunities were created to participate virtually. These celebrations elevated the work of our faculty, staff, students, and alumni in OHIO's collective efforts to maintain global interconnectedness amid the pandemic.
- Video Storytelling
- Faculty Award: Mario J. Grialva, Professor, Director of Infectious and Tropical Disease Institute, Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Staff Award: Gillian Berchowitz, Director Emerita, Ohio University Press
- Alumni Award: Albert Acquah, MA ‘83, International Affairs, Chancellor and Founder, Garden City University College, Ghana
- Community Award: Athens Public Transit
- Tanaka-OHIO Award: Gregory A. King, Associate Professor, Department of English Language and Culture, Chubu University, Japan
- Award of Appreciation: Rajindar K. Koshal, Professor Emeritus of Economics
- Faculty Award: Geoff Dabelko, Professor and Director of Environmental Studies and Associate Dean in the Voinovich School of Leadership and Public Service
- Staff Award: Debra McBride, Assistant Director of the Global Health Initiative
- Alumni Award: David Wilhelm, BA ‘77
- Community Award: First Presbyterian Church, Athens
- Tanaka-OHIO Award: Dr. Hiromi Imamura, Professor of English Education at Chubu University
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Felix V. Gagliano, former Vice Provost for International Programs and Director of the Center for International Studies
- Faculty Award: Nancy Stevens, Professor of Biomedical Sciences.
- Staff Award: Marlene De La Cruz-Guzmán, Director of OHIO’s Office of Multicultural Student Access and Retention (OMSAR)
- Alumni Award: Debra Budiani-Saberi, who earned a master’s degree in international development studies in 1996 and in international community health in 1997. Dr. Budiani-Saberi founded the Coalition for Organ-Failure Solutions, serves as its chief executive director, and is a consultant to the United Nations
- Tanaka-OHIO Award: Dr. Yuji Iwahori, Professor in Chubu University’s Department of Computer Science
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Ohio University President Emeritus Charles J. Ping
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Mary Anne Flournoy, former Associate Director of the Center for International Studies
- Special Recognition: The Ohio Program of Intensive English (OPIE), an English language program at Ohio University that works with students from throughout the world to improve their English, prepare them for academic study and learn about U.S. culture. This year marked the 50th anniversary of OPIE at Ohio University.
- Special Recognition: Leipzig University, in recognition of the 25th anniversary of the OHIO-Leipzig relationship
- Faculty Award: Edna Wangui, Associate Professor of Geography
- Staff Award: Catherine Marshall, Director of the Office of Global Opportunities
- Alumni Award: Beatrice Selotlegeng, a 2008 graduate of OHIO’s Master of Business Administration Program who today serves the College of Business as an academic advisor and director of the Junior Executive Business Program.
- Tanaka-OHIO Award: Tadashi Shiozawa, Professor of English Language and Culture at Chubu University
- Special Recognition for Dedication and Leadership: Thom Luce, Professor and Co-Chair in the College of Business’ Management Information Systems Program and former UIC Chair.
- Special Recognition for Leadership Global Achievements While President: Ohio University President Roderick J. McDavis
- Faculty Award: Steve Howard, Center for International Studies Director and Professor in the Scripps College of Communication's School of Media Arts and Studies
- Staff Award: Usha Matta, Director of International Student Services in OHIO’s Graduate College
- Alumni Award: Aggrey Otieno, a 2011 graduate of OHIO’s master of arts in international affairs, community and development studies program, who today is an innovator and leader in the field of maternal and child health in Kenya.
- Tanaka-OHIO Award: Dr. Haruka Wazaki, a Chubu University professor whose expertise is in cultural anthropology with a focus on Africa
- Faculty Award: Amritjit Singh, Langston Hughes Professor of English and African American Studies
- Staff Award: Gerard Krzic, Director of the Ohio Program of Intensive English (OPIE)
- Alumni Award: David Andrew Strobel, Regional American Red Cross representative in Bangkok, Thailand
- Staff Award: Emily Singer, Assistant Director, Center for International Business, College of Business
- Faculty Award: Gillian Ice, Associate Professor of Biological Anthropology and Gerontology, Director of International Programs, Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Alumni Award: Vibert Cambridge, MA '88, Ph.D. '89, Professor Emeritus, School of Media Arts and Studies