Ohio University

skip to main content

Transfer & Relocating Students

Am I a transfer student or a relocate student?

Students that have completed more than 12 quarter hours or 9 semester hours at another institution of higher education (not an Ohio University regional campus) after graduating from high school are considered “transfer students”. Transfer students must contact the Office of Admissions for consideration to enroll on OHIO’s campus. Once admitted, a transfer student should then complete a ‘New Student Contract’ for the appropriate term of enrollment by clicking on ‘Apply On-line’.

Students currently enrolled at one of Ohio University’s regional campuses who wish to begin taking classes on the Athens campus are considered “relocate students.” However, students must have earned a GPA of 2.0 or better to be eligible for relocation. A request for relocation can occur any quarter in accordance with the Ohio University Undergraduate Catalog. Students relocating from a regional campus to Athen’s campus should complete an ' Intent to Relocate' Form. Once completed, your account will be reviewed to determine housing requirements. Students required to reside on campus will receive instructions from Housing and Residence Life regarding the process for completing a ‘Returning Student Contract’ and selecting a room.

Am I required to reside on campus?

Transfer and relocate students under the age of 23 who cannot demonstrate two full years’ in attendance at an institution of higher education after high school graduation must reside in Ohio University-owned housing and participate in the associated mandatory meal plan. Two full years in attendance must be demonstrated prior to the quarter in which a student enrolls to be eligible to reside off campus.

Students can also request an exemption to the residency requirement if certain conditions are met to include: married, parent with child, veteran with 18 months of active duty, or an approved academic absence (medical withdraw, study abroad, approved internship). Please refer to the Housing Requirement section of this website for more information about housing requirements and the housing exemption review process. Please Note: students must be approved to live off campus by the exemption committee prior to signing an off campus lease.

Students demonstrating two full years of attendance in an accredited higher education institution after high school graduation can choose to either live in the residence halls or off campus.

If you have more questions or concerns about housing options, please contact Housing and Residence Life by calling 740.593.4090 or emailing housing@ohio.edu.

Other Frequently Asked Questions:

Transfer Students FAQ

If I am required to reside on campus, how would I select my room?

  • Housing and Residence Life offers a variety of room options to select from. Transfer and relocate students can choose to live with another transfer or relocate student, a current Ohio University upperclass student, or a traditional first year student.

    Relocate students have the option of participating in the Returning Student Room Selection process held each winter for the following fall quarter's housing. To be eligible to participate, students must submit an  ‘Intent to Relocate’  form no later than February 1. Detailed information regarding the housing application and room selection process will be sent via a students’ OHIO email account upon completing the ‘Intent to Relocate’ form. Students will receive a room assignment for winter and spring quarters according to the living preferences outlined during the housing application process.

    Transfer students will have the opportunity to select a room for fall quarter after being officially admitted by the Admissions Office, completing a housing application, and submitting a $200 housing deposit/prepayment. The room selection process for transfer students will begin in June. Transfer students wishing to reside with a current OHIO student should contact Housing and Residence Life.

If I am eligible to live off campus, what resources are available to help me find an off-campus apartment?

  • Housing and Residence Life’s Off-Campus Living Office serves as a resource for students by assisting with off-campus living issues and promoting positive relationships between student residents and the Athens community. Students can visit the Off-Campus Living  website  to find resources, contact information, and an off-campus rental listing system. You can also contact Off-Campus Living at  offcampus@ohio.edu.


How can I select a mod with more than three desired roommate requests?

  • Students interested in residing in a mod style facility on south green with more than three roommate requests or students of the opposite gender (wings of bedrooms will remain gender specific, with the exception of  Gender Neutral Housing  ) should send an email to Jneanne Hacker (  hackerjn@ohio.edu  ) for additional details.

What services are available on campus to help transfer students make a smoother transition to Ohio University?

  • There are many services and programs available on campus to help transfer and relocate students make their transition to the Athens campus. Residential students should direct questions or concerns to the Resident Assistant (RA) within their residence hall. RAs can assist with connecting students with campus resources and with other students. 

    Additionally, Housing and Residence Life has 25 in-hall professional staff members (Resident Directors and Graduate Resident Directors) who work with all residents to establish a positive living environment and develop a strong community. Please see our  staff directory  for more information on our in-hall staff.

    If you will be living off-campus, please direct your questions or concerns to the Community Assistant (CA) who lives in your neighborhood. You can find the CA for your neighborhood  here.

What about roommate groups of four people total?

  • Four person rooms (Adams, Bromley, Pickering, Brown, Mackinnon, and Crawford) typically will not remain available for selection past the first two days of the selection process.  

    This year we are pleased to announce that rooms in The Convocation Center have been added into the inventory for returning students as additional quad options.  

    After all traditional four person rooms are selected, mod style facilities consisting of adjacent singles and doubles will be available to accommodate roommate groups with four people.  

    Note: students residing in Adams/Bromley are responsible for cleaning the bathrooms. Additionally, privacy locks are located on the inner side of the bathroom doors, but not located on the exterior side of the bathroom door.

What is the process for relocate students and transfer students?

  • Relocate students should contact the regional campus Student Services Office and ask about the relocate process. You can also visit Ohio University  relocate website  for a checklist and other pertinent information.

    Transfer students should contact the Ohio University Undergraduate Admissions Office and ask about the transfer process. You can also visit Ohio University  transfer website  for a checklist and other pertinent information.

Can I select into a room in Adams or Bromley without a roommate request?

  • Yes, students can select into any room on campus with a vacancy. However, we do recommend that if you are selecting randomly into a double, triple, quad or suite style space, that you look for rooms that already have a student that has selected into the space.

Why can't I see all of the rooms available in MyHousing?

  • Students will only be able to view those rooms available on campus that can accommodate their entire roommate group. Additional options can be viewed by removing one, two or all roommate requests.


What do the red numbers indicate during selection in MyHousing?

  • The red numbers will display which rooms have been suited together.

How will I know if a room has air conditioning?

  • During the selection process, the room type will indicate if the room includes air or if the room does not have air.

What if I choose the wrong room?

  • Immediately after selecting a room, your fall 2012-13 room selection will be listed on your MyHousing overview and will be sent to your OHIO Catmail account.  

    Students who inadvertently selected the wrong room can contact Residential Housing on the same day to request their selection be cancelled (along with any roommates that were pulled in). Students will be entered back into the selection process and must repeat the process of adding/confirming roommates prior to selecting another room.


Can I hold a space for a friend that is transferring to OHIO?

  • Unfortunately, spaces cannot be held for students who have not yet been admitted to Ohio University.  

    Please contact Jneanne Hacker at  hackerjn@ohio.edu  if you have a friend that is transferring in that you would like to room with. 


Can I select a room and pull in a first-year student?

  • Yes, as long as the student is admitted and has completed their housing application and paid their deposit you will be able to request the student as a roommate prior to selecting a room. As long as the roommate request is mutual, when you select a room you will pull the new student into the space with you. This type of room selection will be limited to coed mixed halls.


Should I select a room if I am applying to become an RA?

  • Students applying to become a staff member (RA) should complete a housing application, pay the deposit, and select a room. For those students who are selected to become an RA, you will be reassigned into your staff room in May once you have officially been extended a position.

Should I select a room if I am interested in residing in a recognized fraternity or sorority?

  • Students wishing to reside in a recognized fraternity/sorority will need to complete a greek life exemption form beginning March 1 to determine eligibility.  

    Forms can be found by visiting the ‘  Exemption/Termination  ’ page of this site. Once Residential Housing receives notice from the Campus Involvement Center regarding your initiation status, you will be notified of the status of your request.  

    Students who submit a housing application, pay a deposit and then decide to reside in a recognized greek house will receive a refund of the deposit as long as the request for exemption is made by May 1, 2013. Exemption requests received after this date will not be eligible for a deposit refund.

Can I change rooms?

  • There will be a sixteen week room change opportunity after the initial room selection process ends. Beginning April 5, students can enter to participate in a room change lottery that begins March 1 and ends July 1.  

    This room change option is at no risk. Students will keep their current room until they find a new desired location and book the space during the room change lottery. Once in this lottery, students can change rooms as many times as desired.

How are room selection lottery numbers determined?

  • Room selection lottery numbers are completely random. The decision to randomly assign selection dates/times was recommended by students and endorsed by Student Senate.

    Students are assigned a lottery selection date/time between the hours of 9-11 am and 1-4 pm, Monday through Friday in two minute increments. Though selection times always begin on the above schedule, the lottery remains open for selection 24 hours a day.

I am interested in Gender Neutral Housing, what should I do?

  • Because the supplemental GNH application must first be reviewed, you are encouraged to select a room elsewhere during room selection in order to have a space held for you. If you are selected for the GNH community, we will complete a room change for you into a GNH room at that time.  

    If you are wanting an incoming first-year student (or other new student) as your roommate, please be sure to indicate this on your GNH application. We can pair you together later.

    More information on Gender Neutral Housing and the supplemental application can be found  here