Ohio University

skip to main content

Residence Halls FAQ

Other Residential Service

Where will I get my mail?

  • Mailboxes are located in the lobby of most residence halls. Residents located in the residence halls on the back of the South Green pick up their mail in the South Green mail room located in the basement of Mackinnon Hall. Residents of Adams Hall, Tanaka Hall, Luchs Hall, Carr Hall and Sowle Hall pick up there mail in the LLC mailroom located on the first floor of the Living Learning Center.

    You and your roommate(s) will be assigned a mailbox for your room. Mail is delivered Monday through Saturday and is placed in your mailbox by 10 p.m. If you receive a package through the U.S. Postal Service, you will receive an e-mail notification. Packages may be picked up by bringing your OU ID to the staff office during nightly office hours (8:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.). 

    Students who do not have mailboxes in the lobby of their residence halls should pick up their packages at either the South Green mail room or the LLC mailroom from 2 pm to 8 pm Monday through Friday and 12pm to 5 pm on Saturday.

    Students may also ship packages from the United States Post Office located on the 4th floor of Baker University Center.

    UPS and Fed-Ex deliver packages directly to student rooms.

Where will I do my laundry?

  • There are laundry facilities in all South Green residence halls and some individual residence halls, including: Voigt, Bryan, Lincoln, Biddle, Shively, Bromley and the Convocation Center. Central laundry facilities are located under Gamertsfelder Hall on the East Green, Bromley and Treudley Halls on the West Green, and under Dougan House on South Green. 

    For more information regarding laundry facilities, click  here.

Where can I dispose of trash and recyclables?

  • Each room is equipped with at least one trash bin and recycling bin (instructions included) which the student should take to the building trash dumpster or recycling area on a regular basis. Trash and recycling bins must remain in the student’s room.

Other Useful Contacts

Does Ohio University offer guest housing for parents and visitors?

  • Yes, if space is available we will offer guest housing opportunities. Visit our  website  for information about long and short term guest housing. Reservations are on a space available basis and may not be made prior to two weeks in advance.

How do I contact the Housing and Residence Life Office?

  • The central housing office is located in The Living Learning Center room 215. Office hours are from 8:00 a.m. -5 p.m. Monday-Friday, with special holiday and move-in hours. 

    Phone: 740.593.4090 

    Email:  housing@ohio.edu   

    South Green Office: 740.597.7468 

    East Green Office: 740.597.9968 

    West Green Office: 740.597.5956

Questions About Bobcat Cash

What is Bobcat Cash and where can it be used?

  • Bobcat Cash is a prepaid debit card which is stored on your student ID card. Bobcat Cash is only usable ON CAMPUS at any dining or retail outlet, laundry center, or vending machine.

How do I open or add money to my Bobcat Cash account?

  • Bobcat Cash may be purchased at the Cashier’s windows, (ground floor, Chubb Hall) when paying by cash/check OR online via the student e-account if using a credit card or e-check. The minimum starting deposit is $50.00 and new accounts may be established at any time. The student’s OU ID card is programmed with personal data and identifies the student’s Bobcat Cash balance. Remaining balances roll over from semester to semester and year to year, as long as the individual remains enrolled as a student.

How do I cancel Bobcat Cash?

  • To cancel your Bobcat Cash account simply send an email to  housing@ohio.edu containing your first and last name, along with your Personal Identification Number (PID) stating that you would like to cancel the account. There is a $25.00 service fee for closing the account.

What if I lose my ID?

  • If your ID is damaged or misplaced, you should immediately cancel it by contacting the ID office at (740.593.1610) or Ohio University Police (740.593.1911). To receive a new Ohio ID, visit the Technology Depot (room 112) in Baker University Center.

Questions About Checking Out

Do I need to move everything out of my room during the break periods?

  • No, students may leave all of their personal items in their room. You may want to consider taking home anything that is sentimental or valuable. There may be staff, contractors, or students who registered for temporary housing residing in your residence hall during break periods.

How do I check out of my room if I am leaving?

    • Whether you are checking out of your room (not returning) during or at the end of the semester, you must contact your RA to set a designated time (make a reservation) to meet with them when you are ready to leave. This ensures that they will be available to properly check you out of your room. You must sign your Room Condition Report and turn in your key/s as part of the formal check-out.Room charges will continue until proper check out is completed, so be sure to follow these steps! Hall closing checklists will be provided online and updated before each major checkout period.

Questions About Meal Plans

How do I use my meal plan?

  • The student’s Ohio ID card is programmed with personal data and identifies the student’s Bobcat Cash balance and meal plan selection. This ID is used for dining access and on-campus Bobcat Cash spending. The meal week always begins at brunch on Sunday morning and ends at midnight on Saturday. Meals are not transferable from one meal week to another. All meals for the week must be used by the close of the last Dining Hall and/or on-campus market.

Can I allow another person to use my meal plan?

  • Another person is not permitted to use your meal plan. However, if you have a Flex or Block meal plan you may swipe your card more than once to allow another person to use one of your meals in the dining halls.

How can I make a meal plan change?

    • Meal plans can be changed up until the day before move in begins. After that time, only increases (higher cost plans) will be permitted. Please visit the MyHousing  website to request a change.

What is the difference between a flex and a standard meal plan?

  • Standard meal plans are good for a certain number of meals per week and unused meals are lost. Flex plans allow for greater flexibility (allow guests with student) and unused meals can be exchanged for a “meal equivalency” at one of the on-campus markets. The flex plans also offer “points” that are equal to “dollars” for use in any dining venue including Baker University Center. Standard and Flex plans may be utilized at any of our four dining halls on campus.

When is the first meal served?

  • Meal plans will begin at lunch on Thursday, August 18th, 2016, for students as they arrive to campus for fall semester. Meal Plans will begin with brunch on Sunday, January 8th, 2017, for spring semester.

Questions About Moving In

When can I move into my residence hall?

  • Move In Schedule for Fall Semester 2016: 

    Bromley Hall

    2nd Floor: Thursday, August 18th - 9:00am – 11:00am 
    9th Floor: Thursday, August 18th - 11:00am - 1:00pm 
    8th Floor: Friday, August 19th - 9:00am – 11:00am 
    7th Floor: Friday, August 19th – 11:00am – 1:00pm 
    6th Floor: Saturday, August 20th – 1:00pm – 3:00pm 
    5th Floor: Saturday, August 20th – 9:00am – 11:00am 
    4th Floor: Saturday, August 20th – 11:00am – 1:00pm 
    3rd Floor: Saturday, August 20th – 1:00pm – 3:00pm

    All other Residence Halls:

    1st Year Students (by last name)

    A through F – Thursday, August 18th 9:00am – 1:00pm 
    G through K – Thursday, August 18th 1:00pm – 5:00pm 
    L through R - Friday, August 19th 9:00am - 1:00pm 
    S through Z – Friday, August 19th 1:00pm – 5:00pm

    Returning Students

    Saturday, August 20th – 9:00am – 5:00pm

Where do I check in?

  • East & West Green Residence Halls:

    East and West Green residence halls report to the staff office of the building to which they are assigned. Each student will receive their keys and complete a Room Condition Report (RCR). There will be a table in the lobby of each residence hall where students will check in. If unattended, there will be a sign posted with directions to contact a staff person for assistance.

    In an emergency situation that requires a move-in occurring after 10:00 p.m., contact the Ohio University Police at 740. 593.1911. The police dispatcher will be able to contact a Housing and Residence Life staff member. 

    South Green Residence Halls:

    Adams Hall: Adams Hall 1st Floor 
    Tanaka, Luchs, Carr, Sowle: Living Learning Center 1st Floor 
    Brown Hall: Brown Hall 1st Floor 
    Pickering Hall: Pickering Hall 1st Floor 
    Crawford Hall: Crawford Hall 1st Floor 
    Mackinnon Hall: Mackinnon Hall 1st Floor 
    Wray, Ewing, Dougan and Hoover House: Wray Seminar Room 006 
    Atkinson, Armbruster, Smith, and True House: Atkinson Seminar Room 005 
    Martzolff, O’Bleness, Weld, and Fenzel House: Martzolff Seminar Room 005

Where can I find detailed information about move in?

  • Click  here  for driving instructions, evening activities, and other special information related to fall opening.

What can I expect during my first week in the residence hall?

  • When you move in you can expect to meet a lot of new people. You'll be meeting other students like yourself as well as becoming acquainted with various staff members. You will meet the Residential Housing In-Hall staff who are responsible for creating a positive living environment and helping you adjust to college life. Most important will be your resident assistant (RA). They are a student like you. Each RA is assigned to a floor section--a group of rooms--for which they are responsible. Your RA is trained to answer your questions, foster community living, and be a resource to you. During the first few days, your floor section will meet with your RA to discuss the activities and hall guidelines. The emphasis is on creating a safe and healthy living environment. As a member of a new community, you have input and a responsibility to create your community and maintain a comfortable living area. 

    You will also meet the Residential Custodial Services staff (RCS), who is responsible for keeping public areas such as the bathrooms and lounges of your building clean. They appreciate and expect your assistance in maintaining and preserving public areas. Bromley, Adams, Tanaka, Sowle, Carr and Luchs Hall residents are responsible for cleaning their own shared bathrooms and should bring their own cleaning supplies. You are responsible for the cleanliness of your own room and for your own trash removal. Most residence halls have a vacuum cleaner available for use during staff office hours.

What should I bring to campus with me?

  • -Alarm clock 


    -Bedspread, pillow, and mattress pad 

    -Blankets and sheets (for 80" twin bed) 

    -Clothes hangers 

    -Comfortable walking shoes 

    -Desk lamp 

    -Dust rag, dust spray 

    -First aid kit 

    -Laundry supplies (High efficiency detergent) 

    -Non-wall damaging adhesive for posters or decorations (we recommend 3M/Command products) 

    -Notebooks, pens, pencils, tape, stapler, paper clips, scissors 

    -Rain jacket/umbrella 

    -Rolls of quarters (if not using Bobcat Cash) for laundry/vending 

    -Shower bucket (to carry your shower supplies) 

    -Shower shoes/flip flops -Summer clothes (it's hot in Athens until October) 

    -Telephone (if you want to use the land line. Will require having room phone line activated by contact the OIT Service Desk) 

    -Towels and washcloths 

    -U.L. approved GFCI surge bars or power strips 


    Nice but not necessary: 

    -Carpet or rug 


    -Computer, ethernet cable, printer, ink cartridges, paper 

    -Dish washing soap 



    -Memo board or bulletin board 

    -Molding hooks and removable adhesive (we recommend 3M/Command brand products) 

    -Mugs and glasses -Paper towels 


    -Room decorations and posters 

    -Sewing kit 

    -Shoe bag or rack 

    -Silverware and microwave-safe dishes 

    -Television and coaxial cable 

    -Under-the-bed storage boxes 

    -Bike with bike lock

Is there anything I shouldn't bring?

    • Yes. For your own health and safety, the following items are PROHIBITED in the residence halls: 

      -The use or possession of dangerous weapons or materials within the residence halls is strictly prohibited. This includes firearms, other weapons and ammunition. Dangerous weapons or materials include, but are not limited to: handguns, automatic and semiautomatic firearms, compressed air guns (e.g. CO2 air guns / air-soft guns / paintball guns), pellet guns, bb guns, or a weapon of any description, including but not limited to ballistic or explosive devices, incendiary devices, fireworks, ammunition, or knives used to either cause or infer harm to self or others.

      -Cooking appliances, including crock pots, grills, toasters, or toaster ovens 

      -Alcohol (if you are under the legal age of 21) 


      -Crock pots 

      -Drugs (illegal) 


      -Fishnet or paper lanterns 

      -Hot plate or any open-coil cooking appliance 

      -Personal microwave or refrigerator (refrigerator and microwave provided) 

      -Personal air-conditioning units

      -Pets (other than fish) 

      -Posters that will cover more than 25 percent of your walls 

      -Duct/masking tape or other wall/furniture damaging tape product


What if I need to ship some items before my arrival?

    • You may ship items to your campus address. Please time such shipments so that they correspond with your arrival. United Parcel Service will not deliver to the residence halls for fall semester before the week of move-in.

Questions About Residence Hall Rooms

What amenities does my residence hall room have?

    • Each room has a bed, 80” long mattress (bring extra long twin sheets), wardrobe and dresser space, and a desk with desk chair for each student. Some students bring additional storage units to supplement what is provided. 
    • Each room has a refrigerator/microwave combination unit, ethernet/network jack, and cable connectivity (student must bring co-axial cable and ethernet cable). No additional refrigerator or microwave is allowed.

Can I store the "extra" room furniture that I don't want?

    • All provided furniture must remain in the room - no exceptions.

How do I know if my room accepts a loft?

  • A list of dormer rooms (rooms with slanted/sloped ceilings) can be found  here. Those with a slight slope may accept a loft, but most with a severe slope will not accept a loft.

What about lofts?

  • Ohio University partners with Bedloft.com to provide students with a loft rental program. Renting a bed loft is an easy and affordable way to create additional living space in your room. Students may preorder a loft at  www.bedloft.com  and have the loft delivered to their room and assembled before move-in. Lofts may also be rented on move-in day, but quantities will be limited. 

    If you are considering a loft, please go  here  for more information. Finding out ahead of time whether your assigned room will accommodate a loft will save you time and money (see below). Most triples either already have a loft or do not accommodate lofts. For safety reasons, no personally constructed lofts will be permitted. If you choose to use a loft, please note that University-issued furnishings cannot be removed from the room and beds are not permitted to be disassembled. Rented lofts must be returned to the vendor’s pick up location the last week of class during spring semester (just prior to final exams). Ohio University strongly encourages the use of a bedrail with all lofts. 

How do I get a loft?

  • The Residence Action Council (tRAC) has contracted with Bedloft.com who will take orders and deliver lofts to student rooms prior to fall move in. Students are responsible for lifting their beds into the loft. Please click  here  for more information.

Are futons allowed?

    • Yes, students may elect to purchase a futon for their room. However, all of the provided furniture must remain in the room. 

      Additionally, Ohio University partners with bedloft.com as our preferred futon vendor. Bedloft's full-sized futon may be used as a love seat, lounger or bed. Students may preorder a futon at  www.bedloft.com  and have the futon delivered to their room and assembled before move-in.

      Bedloft.com also rents bed lofts to students, and these futons are guaranteed to fit under the bed loft. 

How can I find out the measurements of my room?

  • Room dimensions may be obtained at  here.

Will I need curtains?

  • Most rooms have pull shades at each window. The Convocation Center rooms have mini-blinds instead of the pull shades. If you would like more than a shade or mini blinds, you and your roommate(s) may bring curtains or a valance along with a tension (spring) rod for hanging those up. Typical window size is 40”W by 62”H.

Will the beds be bunked?

  • Our standard set up is for the beds to be bunked. For many of the rooms, the beds can be either bunked or debunked; if you wish to debunk your bed, Residential Custodial Services (RCS) will do this for you. Please stop by your Residence Hall Staff office to sign up for this service. Requests are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. At the beginning of the academic year, it may take a few days to complete your request depending on the volume of requests. Ohio University strongly encourages the use of a bedrail with all bunked beds.

Can I paint or decorate my room?

  • Room painting is not permitted, however students are welcome to decorate their rooms. Keep in mind that only 25% of the wall space may be covered by posters for fire-safety reasons. You also need to remember that no nails, tape, or tacks are to be used on the walls. We recommend removable adhesives (such as command strips) for hanging room decorations. NO duct tape, masking tape, or wall damaging adhesives are permitted. You will be held financially responsible for any damage to your assigned room. Some but not all rooms are equipped with a strip of wood molding at the top of interior walls. Pictures and bulletin boards can be hung from the molding in these rooms with the use of "S" hooks and wire.

Where can I purchase a carpet?

  • Residents’ Action Council (tRAC) works with students to purchase carpet for their room. Contact 1.800.892.8729 or visit  our web site.  Carpets must be pre-ordered and will be delivered to the room if ordered prior to the posted deadline. Students are responsible for removing carpet at the end of the academic year 

Will my room be air conditioned?

  • Buildings NOT fully air-conditioned include those in South Green (except Adams Hall), and Jefferson on East Green. On the South Green, the 3rd and 4th floors of Hoover, Ewing, and Wray are all air conditioned. Other buildings on South Green and Jefferson (on East) have AC installed throughout the buildings as electrical capacity permits. 

    Students are NOT permitted to bring a personal air conditioner.

    Residential Housing is pleased to offer students the opportunity to select their own room. Any student requiring an air conditioned space for medical reasons should select a room designated with air conditioning during the room selection process. Our office no longer requires medical documentation for this accommodation. Please contact Residential Housing at 740.593.4090 if you have any questions or would like assistance with selecting a room. 

Can I bring a UL Air Purifier?

    • Yes. Students are welcome to bring a UL Approved Air Purifier (non-ozone).

Will Ohio University replace my personal property if it is lost or stolen?

  • Ohio University does not carry insurance on student’s personal items. It is advised that students carry renters insurance to cover theft, or damage to personal items. Please talk to your homeowners insurance carrier or search the internet for companies who specialize in this type of coverage.

What happens if I lose my key or lock myself out of my room?

  • You are responsible for your keys. Be careful and never lend your keys to anyone. Your safety is a priority, so make it a habit to lock your room when you're not in it and be sure to take your keys with you. If you do lock yourself out, find your RA or another RA in the building to let you into your room. If no RA is available, then contact your green office for assistance. 

    The green offices are located in Jefferson Hall (740.597.9968) on the East Green, O'Bleness (740.597.7468) on the South Green and Boyd Hall (740.597.5956) on the West Green. 

    Propping open exterior doors, lending your keys to someone else, or letting a stranger into the building are all risks to your safety and the security of all the residents of the building. Residents who engage in such behavior may be subject to disciplinary action. 

    Lost keys will have to be replaced, and a lock change will be necessary. Your account will be charged for any keys you lose and any associated lock change fees.

How do I report a pest problem?

  • For any issues related to pest control (ants, bugs, etc.) call Environmental Health and Safety (740.593.0022) and leave a message or place an online work request  here.

How do I report a room maintenance problem?

  • Facilities management service desk; hours are 7:00 a.m. until 11:00 p.m., with special move-in hours. You can also put through an online work request at the following  web address.

Can I stay on campus during break periods?

  • Students who need to stay in Athens during break periods should visit the Interim/Temporary Housing reservation site (see below) to check availability for temporary housing. There is a nightly charge for this service which will be added to the student’s Ohio account.

How do I make an Interim/Temporary Housing reservation?

  • Please visit the web site  here  for more information regarding Student Interim Housing. 

Where can I learn more about residential rules and regulations?

  • The "Student Housing Handbook" can be found  here, where you will find information about the expectation of students while they are in the residence hall environment. 

Questions About Room Changes

What if I am unhappy with my room assignment?

  • We know everyone isn’t always satisfied with your room assignment. If you are unhappy about your room assignment you will have an opportunity to change rooms on multiple occasions:
    Before classes begin: Students can change rooms online during the Room Change Process between June 1-August 1.
    After classes begin: Student can request a room change beginning the first Thursday of classes until the week before Thanksgiving.

How can I make a room change?

    • Ohio University offers wonderful opportunities to experience diversity in cultures, lifestyles, and backgrounds. Because of this, we expect students to welcome, respect, and be sensitive to differences including getting to know their roommate before making a decision to change rooms. There is a room change “freeze” during the beginning of every semester. After that period, students should work with their in-hall staff if they would like information about the room change procedure.

Are there additional charges if I change rooms?

  • Room rates are dependent upon the type of room the student occupies. If a student moves to a more expensive/less expensive room, the appropriate charges/credits will be applied to the student account. There are no exceptions.

Questions About Roomates

When will I find out about my roommate?

  • For fall semester most new students (freshmen, re-locating, graduate and transfer) will receive email notification that their assignment is available for viewing around mid-July. Fall semester students who turned in housing applications after May 1, will receive assignment information as they are completed (typically in August). For spring admits, students will be notified via email when assignments are available for viewing. Housing assignments will be posted online through MyHousing  as they become available, and will include any assigned roommates.

How do I ensure that my roommate and I don't bring duplicate items?

  • Once you learn who your roommate will be, you should make contact with them. Most roommates want to introduce themselves as well as clarify who will bring the TV and who will bring the iron. Because space is limited, it's a good idea to discuss what each roommate plans to bring, so you don't end up with two carpets, and two coffee makers.