Ohio University-Founded 1804 Ohio University Hong Kong Programs
Modes of Study

Independent Study
Online Courses
Course Credit by Exam
Summer Sessions
Study at Ohio University

Residency Requirement:  Like most universities, Ohio University requires that you complete a certain number of the institution's credit hours in order to graduate.  For Ohio University this means that you must earn a minimum of 48 credit hours from Ohio University in order to earn your degree from Ohio University.  ALL classes in each of these distance programs count toward this 48 credit hour residency requirement.

There are a variety of ways to earn credits as an Ohio University degree student in Hong Kong.

  Independent Study by correspondence (IS)

This method of study allows you to work at your own pace. Correspondence assignments are sent to the U.S. for grading and evaluation by Ohio University faculty. While faculty members are encouraged to grade and return lesson quickly, this method of study may take longer to complete than other methods. You must complete the coursework and exams within 12 months of enrolling in the course.  The fee for IS courses is US$136 per credit hour +US$125 per course (airmail fee for exam paper & lessons). An extension of four months for a fee of US$50 can be requested. For additional information, visit the Independent and Distance Learning website for more information. 

Online Courses
A wide variety of courses are offered every quarter and use the dynamic medium of the World Wide Web to present lesson content. All course communication is by e-mail, including lesson submission and instructor's response. These courses are designed for and delivered via the Internet. Students must have access to a computer with an Internet link, be able to use a graphical web browser, and be able to communicate via e-mail. For additional information, visit the OU Online website for more information.

Course Credit by Examination (CCE)
Course Credit by Examination represents the least structured method of earning college credit through distance learning. Only students who have completed English 150A may take CCE. When you enroll in the course, you will receive a brief syllabus that describes the nature of the course, the textbooks you must use, and the type of examination you can expect. You then prepare for the examination on your own by studying the required textbooks.

Prior knowledge of the subject area is helpful but is not sufficient to pass the exam, which is based on specific textbooks. The examination must be taken within six months of your enrollment in the course. CCE courses cost US$69 per credit hour + US$20 per course for airmail fees. An extension of four months for a fee of US$50 can be requested. For additional information, visit the Independent and Distance Learning website for more information.

Full-time study at Ohio University 
Students who begin their studies in the Ohio University Hong Kong Program may relocate to the main campus to continue their studies full time. Before you are eligible to study in Athens, you must complete your first 20 credit hours of Ohio University coursework, including freshman composition and quantitative skills courses and maintain a 2.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale (a C average). As with relocation from all OU campuses, you also must apply for admission to the college of your chosen major. Visit the International Student Services web page for information regarding US student visas, travel, expense and relocation information, and to download required forms.

If you would like to attend  a quarter on the Ohio University campus, you need at least 20 Ohio University credit hours completed,including ENG151A and MATH113/163A, and a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 or above.

Summer Sessions in the U.S.
Some Hong Kong students choose to attend Ohio University during the summer. The summer term has two five-week sessions. It is recommended that you take no more than 10 credits during each session. Attending Ohio University during the summer allows you to experience college life in the United States and become acquainted with other students. You can also apply for a tuition waiver at our Hong Kong office, which allows you to pay resident tuition for one summer, rather than international student tuition. You must apply by March of the year you plan to travel. Visit the Summer Sessions website for more information. 
Welcome | Programs of Study |Modes of Study | Courses and Schedules |
 Registration Information

Adds/Drops/Refund Policy | Libraries | Quarterly News and Notes
  | Contact Us

Ohio University Hong Kong Programs Home

Ohio University Hong Kong Programs
HKBU-SCE, 2/F, Franki Centre, 320 Junction Road, Kowloon Tong
Telephone: 3411-5471 / 3411-5603
Fax: 3411-5483

E-Mail your questions and comments to Ohio University Hong Kong Programs

Copyright 2003 Ohio University
All Rights Reserved