Financial Support

This page will help you understand the major forms of financial assistance that are available to help meet tuition costs and related expenses. More detailed information about specific types of Financial Support is available from the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.


  • For US Citizens or Permanent Residents, federally-funded loans are available through the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships (OSFAS).  
    • Applicants must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which is available from the OSFAS, and any other forms required by the OSFAS  
    • International students are not eligible for federal loans
  • Requires minimum academic course load to be carried  

Graduate Appointments

The Office of Graduate Appointments coordinates, prepares and processes graduate student appointments with information supplied by departments, schools, colleges or administrative offices. 

Appointment types vary among Research Assistantships, Teaching Assistantships, and Graduate Assistantships.  Most appointments are department and school-based, therefore  students should contact the individual department or school directly for details on their available assistantships and scholarships.

Graduate Assistantships may provide a stipend for services as prescribed by the individual school, department or office and generally require a course load of 12 graduate credits per semester Assistantships usually include a tuition scholarship for the length of the appointment. Stipend amounts vary by unit area.

International Students, please note: Ohio University-funded tuition scholarships cannot be used for the study of the English language in the Ohio Program of Intensive English (OPIE)

For more details and to see available appointments, please go to Graduate Appointments.

Employment Opportunities 

  • Student Employment Services posts job opportunity information for students in the OSFAS and online  
    • Applicants check the list of open positions and contact the OSFAS for a referral  
    • International students should contact International Student and Faculty Services (ISFS) to be sure that they have the required Visa for work in the United States.
    • Students may work up to a maximum of 20 hours per week  

Grants and Fellowships  

  • Graduate Student Senate provides $24,000 a year to graduate students for travel and original work grants. Travel grants are $500 and original work grants are $750.
  • Named Graduate Fellowships provide a service-free stipend and a tuition scholarship, and are funded through the Graduate College.  See Named Graduate Fellowships for details.
  • Student Enhancement Awards provide up to $6,000 support research and travel for a student and mentor to attend a professional meeting to present results. See Student Enhancement Awards for more information.
  • The Graduate College office can assist students with applying for external grants and fellowships. See Grant and Fellowship Development for details.