Newly Admitted Students FAQ

When can I register for classes? How do I register?

Students register for classes through MyOHIO Student Center. Your Student Center indicates when the registration system is available to you. You are encouraged to talk with an advisor in your graduate program prior to registering. Please take care to register for classes that will apply to your graduate degree.

How do I find out who my advisor is?

If you have not been notified of an advisor assignment, contact your graduate program for assistance.

What is a DARS?

DARS stands for Degree Audit Reporting System. Information and access to your DARS is found on the Registrar’s web page.

I’ve been offered admission and financial support, but I’m not sure I am ready to accept. Is there a deadline?

Ohio University is a signatory to the Council of Graduate Schools Resolution Regarding Graduate Scholars, Fellows, Trainees and Assistants, which states that students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15. However, you are encouraged to notify your academic department of your decision at the earliest possible date and no later than April 15.

Is there an Orientation?

The Graduate College offers a general orientation in the week prior to the start of fall semester. International Student and Faculty Services offers a mandatory orientation for all new international students prior to the start of each term. The Center for Teaching and Learning offers an orientation each fall specifically for students with a Teaching Assistantship. Many academic programs also offer program-specific orientations. Contact your academic department for additional information about your program’s orientation.

I was admitted for Fall. Can I defer my admission to another term?

To request deferral of an admission offer, read and complete the online form located here . Please note that assistantship offers may not defer.

I am an International Student. How can I get a Form I-20 or DS-2019?

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services require that Ohio University establish that students have sufficient funds for the first year of study before a Form I-20 or DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility can be issued. If you are admitted to a degree program and offered a graduate appointment (GA, RA, TA), the monetary value of the award is included in the calculations that determine your financial responsibility.  If the value of the appointment does not meet the minimum amount required to fund your first year of study, you will need to provide documentation that you have personal funds or sponsorship funds to make up the difference. If you are not offered funding by your academic department, you will need to provide a Financial Support Form with supporting documentation.

What is the Financial Support Form?

The Financial Support Form is required before a Certificate of Eligibility can be issued to an international student who will subsequently apply for either an F-1 or J-1 Visa.

Where can I get information on housing?

To find information on both on-campus and off-campus housing, please go to our Housing/Roommates page located under Newly Admitted Students in the left hand menu.