Original Work Grant and Travel Awards
Graduate College/Graduate Student Senate Grants
The Graduate College, in collaboration with Graduate Student Senate, offers current graduate students two grant opportunities to support their research, scholarship and creative activities.
Original Work Grant
The Original Work Grant (OWG) supports research and creative work. It is intended to fund direct, project-related expenses such as travel, lodging, materials and equipment related to research. Any graduate student enrolled for at least 1 credit hour and pursuing a graduate degree at Ohio University can apply for this grant.
- Guidelines and Proposal Preparation Instructions
- Signature Sheet
- Submission Check Sheet
- Example of a successful Biomedical Sciences proposal submitted by a Doctoral Student.
- Example of a successful Environmental and Plant Biology proposal submitted by a Master's Student.
- Example of a successful History proposal submitted by a Doctoral Student.
The Travel Award (TA) supports travel to present original work, including research and creative works. The Travel Award is intended to enhance graduate education through participation in seminars, workshops and conferences, fostering professional development to further students’ careers. The award attempts to cover a majority of the costs associated with such travel.
Proposal for the Original Work Grant are accepted twice a year (September and February), while Travel Award applications are accepted three times a year (October, March and June). The table below shows the deadlines for each call, as well as the anticipated decision date and window for expending the funds.
|Grant||Deadline||Decision Date||Funds Available||Closing Date|
For example, if you are applying to attend a conference in March, you should apply to the Fall Award call for proposals.
All proposals must be submitted through the following links. To submit a proposal:
- Download and review all of the materials provided above.
- Prepare your proposal document as described and convert to a PDF.
- Complete the signature sheet and obtain all signatures and scan into a PDF
- Select the appropriate link, complete the forms, and attach the two PDF documents when prompted.
The review process differs for the OWG and TA submissions.
- Travel Awards are awarded on a purely random selection. All proposals meeting the requirements outlined in the guidelines are entered into a lottery. Those selected will be contacted by the Graduate College and disbursement of the funds will be coordinated by the academic department.
- Original Work Grants are awarded by a review committee of graduate students. The Graduate Student Senate will submit to the Graduate College a slate of nominees to serve on the review committee. The committee will forward the proposals to be funded, in ranked order, to the Graduate College. The Graduate College will award proposers, in ranked order, until all available monies in the award pool are expended. Disbursement of the funds will be coordinated by the academic department.
Any monies not expended by the recipient by the close of the award window (Closing Date) will be returned to the Graduate College and placed into the award pool for a subsequent award cycle.
All recipients must provide a final report by the close of the award window. The report will be collected via a web form, and detail how the monies were spent. Failure to submit a final report will disqualify the recipient for future awards and may disqualify students from the academic department from receiving future awards. Before completing the Final Report, review the needed information below.
Information needed in the final report includes the following:
- Type, term, and year of award, and
- A single PDF detailing your expenses and how the grant/award helped your research/work as a graduate student (2-page maximum).
Email any questions to email@example.com or call the Graduate College at 740.593.2800.