Non-Degree, Transient, International Exchange

Admission Requirement

Admission to graduate status requires a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution or foreign institution with a degree that is equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree. Students with degrees from US institutions that are not regionally accredited may be admissible with supplemental application materials. Please review the Graduate Catalog admission section for additional information.

Non-Degree students are admitted by academic programs for the purposes of taking graduate-level courses. For more information, review the Graduate Catalog admission section.

Transient Students are graduate degree-seeking students in good standing at other universities who are admitted to Ohio University under non-degree status for the purposes of taking courses to transfer back to their degree program.

International Exchange Students are students from Ohio University exchange partner institutions. If applying as an international exchange student, select the partner exchange institution from the pull-down menu on the application form.

Application Form – The on-line application is strongly encouraged (required for International Exchange students). Submitting a paper application will significantly increase the application processing time. The on-line application will show you any available terms for the program you select. If a term is not listed, applications are not currently being accepted by that program.

The online application allows you to upload supplemental materials. DO NOT mail copies of materials that you have uploaded unless specifically requested to do so.

** PDF documents are strongly preferred.  Click here for instructions on how to convert documents to PDF.


Non-Degree Status - You must submit one transcript showing the highest degree earned.

Please upload a copy of your transcript to your application. If you have previously attended or are currently attending Ohio University, you must indicate this on your application. Your OHIO transcript will be obtained by the Graduate College on your behalf. Grade reports or advising sheets such as DARS are not acceptable in lieu of transcripts.

If you are recommended for admission, you will need to provide an official transcript from the institution where you have earned or will earn your highest degree.

An official transcript is one that arrives at the Graduate College in an envelope that has been sealed by the issuing institution or from an institution’s official electronic transcript service. Transcripts that have been opened, photocopied, marked as unofficial, or re-routed electronically from an account other than the Graduate College are not accepted as official.

If you attended an institution outside the U.S., please review the transcript requirements listed under the Degree-Seeking International section of this website.

Post-Baccalaureate (ND9951) applicants – Post-baccalaureate applicants do not need to submit transcripts.

Transient and Exchange students – Please submit a signed Certificate of Good Standing in lieu of transcripts.

Letters of Recommendation – Non-degree status generally does not require letters of recommendation. If you have questions, please contact the academic program to which you are seeking non-degree admission.

If recommendations are requested, the on-line application incorporates a secure on-line letter of recommendation system. You will need to provide the e-mail address of each of your recommenders if you wish to use the on-line recommendation system. Recommendations submitted through the on-line system should come from the recommender’s professional or business e-mail account rather than a personal e-mail account (e.g., not Please check with your intended recommenders prior to listing them on your application to confirm their willingness to provide a recommendation on your behalf.

Application Deadlines - To ensure sufficient processing time, degree-seeking applications should be submitted at least six weeks prior to your intended start term.

English Proficiency – All non-native speakers of English are required to show proof of proficiency as described in the Graduate Catalog Application and Admission section and the English Proficiency Requirements section of this website.

The following non-native English speakers are not required to submit official test scores as part of an application packet but will be tested for proficiency upon arrival (through the TOEFL), and are subject to additional English Language instruction based on campus test scores:
•   Applicants who, within the past two years, have received a bachelor’s or advanced degree from an accredited institution of higher education in the United States or a foreign college or university accredited by a Regional U.S. accrediting organization (where English is the language of instruction);
•   Applicants who, within the past two years, have completed at least three years of full-time study at a governmentally-accredited institution of higher education where English is the primary language of instruction

At the discretion of individual academic programs, the following non-native English speakers may be exempt from the English Proficiency Testing Policy:

Applicants who are US citizens/permanent residents and who meet one or both of the following criteria:
•   Within the past two years have received a bachelor’s or advanced degree from an accredited institution of higher education in the United States or a foreign college or university accredited by a Regional U.S. accrediting organization (where English is the language of instruction), and/or
•   Who have significant and recent work experience in an English-language environment.

All students may be tested for academic writing proficiency upon arrival. Individual academic programs may require on-campus English proficiency testing for any student for whom English is not a native language.

Financial Documents - All admitted international students are required to submit an Ohio University Financial Support Form and official bank documentation. The documents are not required until you are recommended for admission, but it is acceptable to submit these with your other application materials.

Application Checklist

•   Complete Application form
•   Appropriate Application fee
•   One transcript showing highest degree earned (not required for post-baccalaureate admission)*
•   Certificate of Good Standing (Transient or Exchange students only)

*Copies of all documents other than the Certificate of Good Standing should be uploaded to your on-line application

Apply Now