Application and Admissions FAQ

I am having technical difficulties accessing MyOHIO Student Center. When I try go to the center web page, I receive this error message "the selected language is not enabled for this database." What do I do to correct this error?

To correct the "the selected language is not enabled for this database," issue in the Mozilla browser please go to Tools > Options > Content and then click on the “Choose...” button next to the Languages Section. Next make sure English/United States [en-us] is the top language.

Why is my application on hold?

Did you pay your application fee with an online check?

If you paid for your application fee with an online check, your application will not be released to Ohio University for six business  days. Your check will first need to clear the bank before your  application will be released. If you are up against a deadline for submitting your application, please do not pay using an online check. If you pay via online check, you will see the warning below at the time you submit your application, which warns that your  application will not be submitted for several days. While some departments review applications after the posted deadlines, some do not. Applications submitted after deadline dates due to check processing delays, do not guarantee that the applicant will be considered for admission.

Payment Information

Did you select to submit your application and pay a fee?

Your application is not considered submitted until you complete all required questions, click submit, and pay the application fee (if applicable). You can go back into a saved application, make updates, and then submit the application. If you are unsure if you submitted the application, go to and under “Returning Users” click on “Review your Activity.” Please remember if you paid with an electronic check, your application will be held for 6 business days. Please allow additional days before the departmental deadline, if you plan to pay with an electronic check.

What if I lost my password to my application account?

If you should lose your password, you can get a new password at:

How do students check and update their Letter of Recommendations?

Applicants can check the status of their letter of recommendation(s) by going to and sign in with their user name and password used at the time the application was created.  The applicant can re-send the letter of recommendation information to any recommender using the “Send Reminder” option in the “Take Action” list box listed next to each of them in his/her Activity Log.
If a recommender does not receive the message, you will want to have the recommender and his or her institution (if it is an institutional account) adjust their Spam filters by listing “” then send a new reminder, or get an alternate email address from him or her and enter it using the “Edit Recommender” option.  It you edit an email address, a reminder is automatically sent to the new address.
The student can also request that the recommender send the letter of recommendation in paper to the Graduate College, Ohio University, 220 Research and Technology Center, Athens, OH 45701

How do I review To Do items in My OHIO Student Center?

How to Access “My OHIO Student Center” to Review “To Do” Items and Holds
1. Go to and log in to the My OHIO student portal using your Ohio ID and password.
Access Student Portal

2.    On the Academics tab, click on “My OHIO Student Center.”
Academics tab

3.    You will be presented with a second log in page for OHIO University PeopleSoft Campus Solutions. Log in again using your Ohio ID and password. If you receive an error message that begins with “You are not authorized for this page…,” please access the system through a different web browser.
2nd login

4.    Once you have accessed your Student Center, you will see panes for Holds and To Do List.
Holds and To Do list
5.    To get details about any listed items, click on the “details” link.

6.    Under the “Item List,” click the item link and scroll to the bottom of the page to read the “Description” of the To Do list item.
Description of To Do list item

The application won’t accept my credit card.

A credit card authorization error means there is a problem with the credit card you provided. You may see one of the following messages: Decline, Serv Not Allowed, Invalid Trans, or Do Not Honor
Each of these is a type of error that is sent by your card provider. For whatever reason, the bank or card provider is declining the transaction. The fee processor provides us with no further details regarding the transaction failure.
A common error is a mismatch between name and/or billing address on the credit card and the name and/or permanent address you listed on your application. Double-check your name and address to make sure it matches the name and address assigned to the credit card, and attempt to submit it again. If the error is persistent and you wish to inquire further, please contact the bank or credit card provider that issued the card.
If you are attempting to use a credit card belonging to someone else and are not listed as an authorized user on their account, you may encounter an authorization error. If you are the named card holder and your card is not working, check to ensure your permanent address on the application matches the address on your credit card. If you continue to encounter problems, contact the bank/credit card provider.
If you are unable to resolve the authorization error, you can mail the application fee to the Graduate College and receive in return an administrative code that will allow you to submit your on-line application. Please contact the Graduate College at for additional information and instructions.

I already submitted my application, but need to make a change to the information. Whom do I contact to make this correction?

If you have an information error that needs to be corrected in your application, please contact the appropriate Graduate College Student Records Manager by the first alphabet letter of your name at

I submitted my application using an electronic check. Why is my application on hold?

If you pay your application fee using an electronic check, your application will be held for 6 business days until the check is cleared. During this time period, Ohio University cannot begin processing your application. A warning appears at the end of the application process letting you know that your application will be held until the check is cleared. DO NOT pay using an electronic check if you are attempting to meet an application deadline within a two week time period of the submission of your application.

How do I get back to my application if I partially completed but did not submit it?

Go to and under “Returning Users,” click on the Review Your Activity link. Enter the user name and password that you used to create your application. Once inside the application, complete it, click the 'submit' button at the end, and pay the fee. Your application is not considered “submitted” until you pay the fee. Please remember if you pay using an electronic check, your application will be held for 6 business days until the check is cleared. During this time period, Ohio University cannot begin processing your application. DO NOT pay using an electronic check if you are attempting to meet an application deadline within a two week time period of the submission of your application. 

Can I get my application fee back?

No. Application fees are non-refundable. Please review your application carefully before submitting and paying the application fee.

In the event that a program is cancelled due to lack of applications, applicants will be notified of their options.

Transcripts from US Institutions - Unofficial vs. Official

Unofficial transcripts can be submitted as part of your application materials for most academic programs. An unofficial transcript is a copy of an official transcript that carries the name and seal of the institution, the dates you attended, a full list of courses taken/attempted, and the signature of the Registrar. Advising reports like DARS, academic records printed from your school’s website, or grade reports do not qualify as a transcript and should not be included with your application unless specifically requested.

Official transcripts are transcripts that have been sent from the university directly to the Graduate College either by mail or electronically, or have been sent to you in a SEALED envelope and then forwarded by you to the Graduate College unopened. Transcripts that arrive in opened envelopes are not official.

Official required as part of the application materials for some programs. Please check the program’s web site and review the program information within the online application to determine if your program requires official transcripts with the application.

All students recommended for admission must provide an official transcript from any institution where they have earned (or will earn) a bachelor’s degree or higher prior to registering in their initial graduate semester.

What is an Official/Final Transcript

An Official/Final transcript is an official transcript that shows the conferred degree and the degree conferral date. All admitted students must provide an Official/Final transcript to complete their admission file. Failure to do so may result in revocation of your graduate admission.

I've been an Ohio University student. What transcripts do I need to submit?

Current and previous Ohio University students need to provide a copy of an official transcript from any college or university where college-level courses have been taken. Any transcripts you provided as part of an undergraduate admission to Ohio University need to be resubmitted as part of your graduate application, as the previously-submitted transcripts became the property of your undergraduate college and are not accessible by the Graduate College. As a previous student, you should have listed Ohio University on your application, and the Graduate College will obtain a copy of your Ohio University transcript on your behalf so you do not have to request one.

Please note: If you have attended OU and did not list it on your graduate application, you will need to contact the Registrar’s Office at <>and request an Ohio transcript be sent to the Graduate College.

What academic credentials or transcripts are required from non-US institutions?

Details about international transcripts and other academic records are found on the Graduate College website here:

Please note: evaluations provided by a credential service (e.g., WES) are not accepted in place of academic documents generated by the college or university actually attended.

How do I submit an official transcript (US institutions)?

You can submit an official transcript by mail or electronically, depending on the options provided by your school. Most institutions will have instructions online about how to request transcripts. Generally this information will be in the Registrar or Records office, but you may also find it under Alumni information.

Electronic transcript services:

Select Ohio University as the recipient, if that option is available. If asked to provide an e-mail address, use

Along with your name, please include your Ohio PID number on your order request.

Mailing paper transcripts:

Paper transcripts must arrive still sealed in the original envelope in which they were released by the issuing institution. The mailing address needs to include your full name and your Ohio PID number and/or your date of birth (month/date/year).

Mailing address:
Graduate College
Your name, Pxxxxxxxxx
1 Ohio University
220 Research & Technology Center
Athens OH 45701