Incoming Undergraduate Exchange Students
Application Procedures & General Information for Undergraduate Exchange Students to OHIO
Undergraduate Application Deadlines
- To apply for summer or fall semester 2021: Application deadline is February 15, 21
- To apply for spring semester 2022: Application deadline is September 1, 2021
Students use the exchange student application (see below).
Partner offices send the required application materials directly to the Office of Global Opportunities (OGO) by the application deadlines listed above. Application fees are waived.
Undergraduate application requirements:
- OHIO Undergraduate Exchange Student Application Form.
- Official Academic 1) In the original language and 2) in English.
- Financial Affidavit: Applicants must submit proof that they have sufficient funds for their stay in the U.S. The dollar amount listed in the affidavit must correspond to, at minimum, the dollar amount listed for students in the graduate student expense estimate provided by OHIO. A template bank letter is provided. A template sponsor form is available at the ISFS website here.
- OHIO Courses: Applicants must submit a list of the OHIO courses they are interested in taking. NOTE: When compiling the exchange course list, use the corresponding semester of the previous year in OHIO course offerings. Course offerings are subject to change.
- English Language Proficiency Documentation: Please see new information below.
- Passport Copy: One copy of the student’s personal information and photo page.
- Residency Declaration: Statement answering the question “What is your country legal permanent residence?” Please include full name as appears on passport. Sign and date.
- Statement of Interest: Submit 1-page personal statement, covering background and interest in this exchange.
NOTE: Missing documents or incomplete applications will delay the application process. Exchange student applicants should always work with the international advisor or exchange program coordinator at the home university to ensure that the application is complete and all required documents are provided.
English Language Proficiency Requirements
All applicants must demonstrate English proficiency to be admitted to academic study. There are several options for demonstrating proficiency. See https://www.ohio.edu/admissions/international/apply for detailed information.
Do not send test scores with other application materials, but follow instructions provided.
Students must satisfy these requirements in order to take academic courses at OHIO. With approval from the student's home university, students who do not fulfil these requirements may take English language courses with OPIE, Ohio's Program of Intensive English.
Academic Calendar and Arrival Dates
OHIO operates on the semester system. The academic year begins with fall semester. Each semester consists of 14 weeks of classes and one week of exams. Fewer courses are offered during the summer sessions and most OHIO students leave Athens. Consequently, we do not encourage exchange students to attend during summer sessions.
The OHIO academic calendar is available on-line at: ohio.edu/registrar/calendar.cfm. The tentative academic calendar for 2021-2022 is:
- Summer term: May 10 – August 14, 2021
- Fall semester: August 23 – December 11, 2021
- Spring semester: January 10 – April 30, 2022
Tentative arrival dates for undergraduate students are May 4, 2021 for summer term, August 17, 2021 for fall semester and January 4, 2022 for spring semester. Arrival dates are confirmed in students’ welcome packets. Do not book airfare prior to receiving a letter of admissions and confirming arrival dates.
Exchange students apply for J1 U.S. visa status. Upon admission, a DS2019 immigration document is requested at OHIO for the student. The processing time is 2-4 weeks. The DS2019 and the official admission letter will be sent to the student in care of the international office at the home university. Upon receipt, check the document carefully and notify OGO immediately if mistakes are found.
For more information on visa application and visa requirements, please see https://www.ohio.edu/isfs/resources-new-students/visa-information.
U.S. immigration regulations require that students be enrolled as full-time students. Undergraduate exchange students must enroll for a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester (approximately 4 courses). Classes must be taken for a letter grade. Online courses do not qualify. In addition, OGO requires full-time enrollment as we have pre-paid full-time tuition fees for each student.
All international students are automatically enrolled in the OHIO Student Health Insurance. Students will be automatically billed for the cost of the insurance plan after they arrive in Athens. A waiver may be requested, but because of the strict policy coverage requirements, it is most frequently denied.
Information and costs of this insurance plan can be found on-line at: ohio.edu/student-insurance.
Undergraduate exchange students generally live in OHIO's residence halls. Between academic semesters when classes are not in session, regular on-campus housing closes and all students are asked to move out until classes resume for the next semester. Interim housing is available between semesters for a fee.
It is the student’s responsibility to reserve and confirm permanent and interim housing. Housing information is available on-line at: ohio.edu/housing. Further directions are sent to admitted students.
Airport: The closest and most convenient airport to Athens is the John Glenn Columbus International Airport in Columbus, Ohio. OHIO Transportation & Parking Services will be providing a shuttle service from the airport to OHIO on specific dates prior to the start of most semesters.
Transport to Athens: Shuttle bus service is typically available to exchange students on specific days and times before the start of most semesters. See https://www.ohio.edu/transportation-parking/transit-services/airport-shuttle for more information. OHIO will cover the cost of the shuttle on specified arrival dates (currently $35).
International Student Orientation
Exchange students are required to attend an on-campus orientation for international students. The orientation program cost is $150, which is billed to student's accounts. The orientation requires students to arrive one week prior to semester start. Orientation dates will be published 1-2 months before arrival.
Students register for courses upon arrival during orientation. Pre-registration is not available. Each student is assigned an academic advisor to help with registration and academic course concerns. Courses may be full, cancelled or unavailable to incoming exchange students. Students should be flexible and have a broad set of course interests.
Access to course information is on-line at ohio.edu/registrar. Be sure to check course offerings for the correct semester and do not use the comprehensive course catalog as many courses are not offered each semester.
Costs and Fees
Students should be fully aware of the cost involved in exchange participation at OHIO at the time of application. For details on expected costs, please refer to the provided expense estimate for undergraduate students.
Undergraduate exchange students will receive an instructional (“tuition”) fee waiver, which covers the per-semester instructional, general, technology, and most other academic fees at OHIO. However, undergraduate exchange students from most partner universities are additionally responsible for paying a $150 International Student Orientation fee.
Housing and meal plan fees are available at https://www.ohio.edu/housing/nogsr.cfm and will be covered by the student.
Travel and Student Exchange During COVID-19
Participation in study abroad and exchange programs during COVID-19 involves real and potential personal, financial and academic risk. At this time, Ohio University cannot promise a “normal” exchange experience for incoming students. During the pandemic, Ohio University has remained open, however many courses are currently offered only in hybrid or online formats. Students must be flexible concerning all parts of their exchange experience including housing, course selection and general scheduling. Cancellation of programs with short notice is possible. Please read and stay informed concerning COVID-19 news online.
- Ohio University Home Page ohio.edu
- Office of Global Opportunities ohio.edu/goglobal
- Int’l. Student & Faculty Services ohio.edu/global/isfs
- Academic Calendar ohio.edu/registrar/calendar.cfm
- Academic Department & Schools ohio.edu/departments
- Course Offerings webapps.ohio.edu/classes/search.htm
- Course Catalog catalogs.ohio.edu
- Housing/Dining Services ohio.edu/housing
- OHIO Student Health Insurance ohio.edu/student-insurance
- Campus Recreation ohio.edu/recreation
- Student Activities ohio.edu/involvement
- Athens Campus Map & Tour ohio.edu/athens/ioumap
- Athens City Information ci.athens.oh.us
OGO Exchange Program Staff Members