Congratulations, you’re planning to study abroad soon!
As a part of your preparation to go global, you are required to attend a mandatory pre-departure orientation. All students studying abroad through Ohio University, an exchange, or a third-party provider are required to attend.
If you are a student participating on an upcoming summer, fall semester, or academic year-long program you must attend this Bobcats Abroad Conference - Spring 2020. Please see below for date/time/location and schedule. If you will not be in Athens on the scheduled date, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bobcats Abroad Conference - Spring 2019
Who: All summer, fall semester, and academic year-long study abroad participants.*
When: Wednesday, April 1st from 10:45 am - 7 pm (you must only attend 2 sessions = 2 hours)
Where: Various rooms on 2nd floor of Baker Center (see schedule for details)
How: Students must attend 2 sessions throughout the day. One must be a Health & Safety session, the other may be the session of your choice. You must sign-in at each session. See "How do I complete this requirement?" below for more information.
Schedule: You may see the Bobcats Abroad Conference Schedule - Spring 2020 (TBD) for full details including times, session topics, and locations.
*If you are a student participating on a clinical Global Health program, Global Consulting Program, or a part of the Japan: Marching 110 program you will receive separate instructions on how to complete this requirement - you do not need to attend the Bobcats Abroad Conference - Spring 2020.
What is the Bobcats Abroad Conference?
The Bobcats Abroad Conference is a study abroad pre-departure orientation providing valuable information to consider about your upcoming international travel, from health and safety to culture, identity, networking, and more.
The Bobcats Abroad Conference is not site-specific and will pertain to general tips, recommendations, and support that all travelers should consider regardless of location or time spent abroad. Most students will receive a site-specific orientation from their program director or program provider. If you would like to talk about site-specific information with someone from our office, please contact email@example.com or come to our open advising hours (no appointment necessary) from 10 AM - 4 PM.
How do I complete this requirement?
You must attend TWO sessions for a total of two hours. Attendance will be taken at all sessions. The two sessions are as follows:
1. “Health and Safety” will be mandatory for all participants and is offered multiple times throughout the day. It will cover the resources and responsibilities you have while you are abroad to help you stay healthy and safe.
2. The second required session is left up to your personal preference and availability. You may choose from:
- Culture, Identity and Allyship – learn about culture shock, navigating your identity, your host-culture and how to use your own privilege to support those who may identify as individuals of a marginalized group.
- Tips for Travelers – packing, money, and logistics travel tips from peer advisors and professionals that have been in your shoes.
- Global Networking – start thinking about how study abroad may impact your career interests and future career search.
- Returned Student Panel – hear directly from your peers about their experiences abroad.
- CIS Abroad Send Off – for students participating in programs with study abroad provider, CIS Abroad. Meet other students participating in CIS Abroad programs this Spring, chat with CIS Abroad Alumni Ambassadors, and ask any questions you may have.
Failure to attend or appropriately make up these sessions may jeopardize your participation in a global program. If you are unable to attend one or both of the mandatory sessions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to seeing you there!