Risk Management for Students
Students participating in independent, non-OHIO program international travel must submit one COVID-19 Viability and Risk Assessment Survey per travel experience. This includes participants in experiences such as internships, research, exchange, volunteer, clinicals, work, and conferences.
NOTE that all student travel abroad is currently suspended.
We recommend that you submit this survey no later than 3 months prior to travel. You are welcome to submit earlier. The review will normally take 1-2 months and early submission is recommended.
Recommended submission deadlines:
- Spring semester travel: October 1
- Summer term travel: February 15
- Fall semester travel: June 1
The survey will take approximately 45-90 minutes to complete depending on travel plans and prior research.
Students work on very different timelines, so be sure to consider your personal needs especially in regards to financial commitments and payment dates. Travelers should not purchase airfare or make other non-refundable payments before being notified.
The SARAC review normally takes 1-2 months. Submitters will be notified about the outcome of the review by email.
If you are in doubt about whether you need to seek travel approval or if you want to discuss your proposed travel, email OGOriskmanagement@ohio.edu.
Please respond in a timely manner to requests for additional information. Delayed responses will extend the request timeline.
Recommendations for Completion
- Follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommendations for travel, work, shopping, gathering etc.
- Familiarize yourself with local conditions and guidelines for COVID-19 as well as current travel information and/or restrictions issued by the U.S. Department of State (USDOS) and International SOS (membership number 11BTTA887908).
- For students traveling traveling with an organization, third-party provider or other program entity or sponsor, it will be helpful to locate or request their health, safety and COVID-19 protocol. Many organizations, groups and institutions will have this information online.
- Keep a running log (in a Word document, for instance) with links to online resources you consult. If OGO or SARAC have follow-up questions, this will expedite the review process.
- You will need to upload a copy of your proposed itinerary. Please save as Word or Pdf file prior to upload.
Above you can download a Word version of the survey. We recommend that you work through the Word document prior to starting the online survey, then copy and paste your responses into the online survey. Not all questions in the survey preview may be relevant to your program or planned travel. Internal survey logic in Qualtrics ensures that not all questions visible in the Word versions of the survey appear as you complete the survey online.
If applicable, you may wish to share the Word document with and request input from program staff/collaborators, non-OHIO providers, or other entities supporting you and the program logistically.
Advising and Questions?
Sign up for an advising appointment if you need support with the process or survey.
If you have other questions about health and safety, including travel during COVID-19, please email OGOriskmanagement@ohio.edu.