Risk Management for Students
COVID-19 related university pre-approval and review requirements have been lifted for students participating in study away, study abroad as well as independent, non-OHIO program travel including internships, research, exchange, volunteer, clinicals, work, and conferences.
COVID-19 still impacts travel, especially to international destinations. Students planning to participate in the above experiences should research country and local requirements carefully. Create a personal health and emergency plan for your trip covering all health advisories. Regarding COVID-19, be sure to consider the following:
- COVID-19 entry requirements in the countries you plan to visit, if any.
- Current COVID-related guidelines and requirements for visitors in the countries you plan to visit.
- Requirements for quarantine or isolation, if any, if you test positive for COVID-19 while abroad.
- Plans for housing, meal delivery and other necessities if you have to quarantine or isolate.
Below are some resources to help you plan for your experiences:
- Learn about travel health considerations, including COVID-19, at your destination(s) on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) travel website. The CDC also provides country-specific information related to other disease and health concerns.
- Familiarize yourself with local conditions and guidelines for safety, security, and health considerations published by the U.S. Department of State (USDOS) and International SOS (membership number 11BTTA887908).
- Research local and national government health and safety information for your host country/countries.
- If traveling traveling with an organization, third-party provider, or other program entity or sponsor, such organizations should have detailed health and safety information available on their websites, including a COVID-19 specific plan.
We appreciate your attention to travel safety! If you have questions, please email us at OGOriskmanagement@ohio.edu or call OGO at 740-593-4583 for more information.