Risk Management for Students
Students participating in independent, non-OHIO program international travel must submit one COVID-19 Viability and Risk Assessment Survey per travel experience. This includes participants in experiences such as internships, research, exchange, volunteer, clinicals, work, and conferences.
NOTE that all student travel is currently suspended. If the risk associated with COVID-19 declines, the University may reopen travel summer 2021. Travel pre-approval requests for summer 2021 or after may be submitted now at the link below.
All student travelers work on different timelines, however in general we recommend that you submit this survey no later than 3 months prior to travel. You are welcome to submit earlier. If you are in doubt about whether you need to seek travel approval or if you want to discuss concerns about the timeline, email OGOriskmanagement@ohio.edu.
The survey will take approximately 45-90 minutes to complete depending on travel plans and prior research. For most travel, we recommend that you submit this survey no later than 3 months prior to travel. The review will normally take 1-2 months and early submission is recommended.
Recommended submission deadlines:
- Summer 2021 travel: April 1
- Fall 2021 travel: June 1
- Spring 2022 travel: October 1
Consider your personal timeline. The review normally takes 1-2 months, so you will want to keep potential third-party provider paperwork requirements and payment deadlines in mind.
Please respond in a timely manner to SARAC requests for feedback. Delayed responses will extend the request timeline. Submitters will be notified about the outcome of the review by email. Travelers should not purchase airfare or make other non-refundable payments before being notified.
If you don't know whether you need to seek travel approval, contact OGOriskmanagement@ohio.edu.
Recommendations for Completion
- Follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommendations for travel, work, shopping, gathering etc.
- Familiarize yourself with local conditions and guidelines for COVID-19 as well as current travel information and/or restrictions issued by the U.S. Department of State (USDOS) and International SOS (membership number 11BTTA887908).
- For students traveling traveling with an organization, third-party provider or other program entity or sponsor, it will be helpful to locate or request their health, safety and COVID-19 protocol. Many organizations, groups and institutions will have this information online.
- Keep a running log (in a Word document, for instance) with links to online resources you consult. If OGO or SARAC have follow-up questions, this will expedite the review process.
- You will need to upload a copy of your proposed itinerary. Please save as Word or Pdf file prior to upload.
Access to PDF and Word Versions of Survey
Below you can access PDF and Word versions of the survey described above. We recommend that you work through the Word document prior to starting the online survey, then copy and paste your responses into the online survey. Not all questions in the survey preview may be relevant to your program or planned travel. Internal survey logic in Qualtrics ensures that not all questions visible in the PDF/Word versions of the survey appear as you complete the survey online.
If applicable, you may wish to share the PDF/Word document with and request input from fellow program staff, non-OHIO providers, or other entities supporting the program logistically.
- Preview of Independent Student COVID-19 Viability and Risk Assessment Survey
Click here to access the Independent Student COVID-19 Viability and Risk Assessment Survey. The survey will open in a new window.
Advising and Questions?
Sign up for an advising appointment if you need support with the process or survey.
If you have other questions about health and safety, including travel during COVID-19, please email OGOriskmanagement@ohio.edu.