Risk Management for Programs
The travel review and pre-approval process outlined extends to all OHIO program travel organized through the Office of Global Opportunities (OGO), Center for International Business Education and Development (CIBED) and the Global Health Initiative (GHI). One program staff representative completes the COVID-19 Viability and Risk Assessment Survey (see link below).
Note: Individual participants on University-sponsored programs do not have to complete a survey.
All student travel is currently suspended. Travel is possible for pre-approved programs only.
Below are recommended submission deadlines. Many factors will impact program planning, so please discuss your program's timeline and needs with your OGO, CIBED, or GHI point person to determine the best time to submit this survey.
- Winter break: August 1
- Spring break and spring semester: September 1
- Summer (May/June start): January 3
- Summer (July start): February 1
- Fall semester: March 1
The survey will take approximately 45-90 minutes to complete depending on travel plans and prior research. The review will normally take 1-2 months.
Please respond in a timely manner to SARAC requests for feedback. Delayed responses will extend the request timeline. Submitters will be notified about the outcome of the review by email. Travelers should not purchase airfare or make other non-refundable payments before being notified.
Recommendations for Completion
- Follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommendations for travel, work, shopping, gathering etc.
- Familiarize yourself with local conditions and guidelines for COVID-19 as well as current travel information and/or restrictions issued by the CDC and International SOS.
- For international travel, please research U.S. Department of State (USDOS) advisories and travel information.
- If collaborating with an organization, third-party provider or other program entity or sponsor, it will be helpful to request their health, safety and COVID-19 protocol for the travel destination. Some organizations, groups and institutions will have this information online.
- Keep a running log (in a Word document, for instance) with links to online resources you consult. If OGO or SARAC have follow-up questions, this will expedite the review process.
- You will need to upload a copy of your proposed program itinerary. Please save as Word or Pdf file prior to upload.
Access to PDF and Word Versions of Survey
Below you can access PDF and Word versions of the survey described above. We recommend that you work through the Word document prior to starting the online survey, then copy and paste your responses into the online survey. Not all questions in the survey preview may be relevant to your program or planned travel. Internal survey logic in Qualtrics ensures that not all questions visible in the PDF/Word versions of the survey appear as you complete the survey online.
If applicable, you may wish to share the PDF/Word document with and request input from fellow program staff, non-OHIO providers, or other entities supporting the program logistically.
- Preview of International Programs COVID-19 Viability and Risk Assessment Survey
- Preview of Domestic Programs COVID-19 Viability and Risk Assessment Survey
Click the links below to access the survey
Domestic Programs COVID-19 Viability and Risk Assessment Survey. The survey will open in a new window.
International Programs COVID-19 Viability and Risk Assessment Survey. The survey will open in a new window.
High-Risk Travel Destinations Risk Assessment
OGO, CIBED and GHI programs to international destinations exhibiting high risk require a risk assessment. Program directors with questions about the risk assessment process should contact OGOriskmanagement@ohio.edu for more information.