Travel Preapproval and Risk Review Requirements
The University requires risk assessment and travel pre-approval in certain circumstances where travel may involve increased personal, financial, and academic risk. Currently, the University requires travel approval in the following circumstances:
- A pandemic such as COVID-19 requires “a per program” or “per travel experience” risk review for independent student travel to destinations abroad as well as University sponsored international and domestic programs if the destination is under a:
- U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory Level 2 or 3, a Centers for Disease and Prevention pandemic or COVID-19 Travel Health Notice 2 or 3, and/or International SOS risk rating of MEDIUM.
- Note that during a pandemic, student travel will be suspended when any rating is above these levels.
- Study abroad program travel to high-risk destinations requires a separate annual risk review under the following circumstances:
- U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory Level 3 or 4 for country or locality, a Centers for Disease and Prevention Level 3, and/or International SOS risk rating of HIGH or EXTREME.
Details about travel review requirements may be found in the SARAC Process Policy Nov. 2020. For more about SARAC, see the OGO Risk Management website. If you have questions about whether a risk review is required for your travel or program, email OGOriskmanagement@ohio.edu.
Required COVID-19 Travel Review and Pre-Approval
As outlined above and when meeting COVID-related risk review requirements, Ohio University requires student and program travel to international destinations as well as student program domestic travel managed by the Office of Global Opportunities (OGO) to be reviewed and approved by the University prior to travel.
The process for review is as follows:
- Traveler or program director completes travel questionnaire (see below).
- OGO completes travel review (template available here).
- Travel is reviewed by the Study Away Risk Assessment Committee (SARAC).
- SARAC forwards its recommendation to the Office of the. Executive Vice President and Provost, whose representative makes a final decision regarding travel.
All travel review requests will be managed by OGO’s Risk Management team.
Instructions for the Travel Review and Pre-Approval Process:
- OHIO Programs (Domestic and International)
- OHIO students traveling independently to international destinations
High-Risk Travel Destination Risk Assessment
OGO, CIBED and GHI programs to international destinations exhibiting high risk require a risk assessment. Program directors with questions about the risk assessment process should contact OGOriskmanagement@ohio.edu for more information.
If you have questions about risk management or the risk review process, please email OGOriskmanagement@ohio.edu.