Italy: Florence Retail Tour
On This Page:
Hospitality, Tourism, and Recreation
October 15 at 11:59pm
For more information, contact:
Associate Lecturer – Retail Merchandising and Fashion Product Development Program
121B McCracken Hall
williaL6@ohio.edu | 740.597.3122
Global Programs Coordinator | Office of Global Opportunities
The Florence Retail Tour allows students to get an upclose view of the different aspects of the fashion industry. Set in one of the fashion capitals of the world, students will explore the Italian Apparel and Retail industries through interactions with employees, managers, and business professionals along with on-site visitation to apparel and retail companies in Florence, Italy.
Students will stay in triple occupancy hotel rooms throughout the duration of the program.
Spring Break: March 7-15, 2020
Note: Students will need to leave the United States on Saturday, March 7 to arrive in Florence on Sunday, March 8.
- RFPD 3400: Retail Study Tour, 3 credit hours (Undergraduate)
- RFPD 5400: Retail Study Tour, 3 credit hours (Graduate)
The program fee for this program includes: Student accommodations, some meals, in-country transportation, excursions (guided with tours), airport transfers, welcome and farewell dinner and international medical health insurance.
In addition to the program fee, students should plan for e credit hours of tuition*, administrative fee, and out-of-pocket costs. Below is the student budget worksheet for this program, which outlines these costs.
Items that are not related to the program (ie. additional entertainment, souvenirs, extra travel, contingency funds) are not included in the cost estimates provided and should be budgeted for separately.
- Non-resident surcharge waived for the credit hours associated with this program.
- If you are nominated to this program, you will be required to pay a deposit to confirm your participation. The deposit is a down payment on the total costs to be billed by OHIO and is determined by the total cost of the program.
- For programs completed over winter-break and spring break, the credit-hours associated with the program are part of the spring semester. Students taking between 12 to 20 Athens campus hours, including those associated with the program, will not incur additional tuition costs for the spring semester. Students taking less than 12 or more than 20 Athens campus credits for the spring term will see their tuition charge adjusted accordingly.
More information on financial aid and scholarships can be found on our funding pages.
Eligibility and Requirements
This program is open to Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors in the Retail Merchandising and Fashion Product Development (RFPD) program major and minor with a minimum GPA of 2.0 and graduate students in the Apparel, Textiles, and Merchandising (ATM) Masters program.
First priority will be given to RFPD majors and ATM students.
Selection will be made based on current GPA, major, written statement and informal interview.
Students who will be on probation at any point during the program for a conduct offense that took place less than a calendar year from the program start date may not study abroad. Click here to read the entire conduct policy.
This program does not accept NON-OHIO students.
Participants must have a at least a high school diploma or the equivalent (e.g. GED) by the start date of the program to be considered for eligibility. Students enrolled in College Credit Plus (CC+) are not eligible for study away programs.
Entry and Exit Requirements
U.S. citizens are required to have a valid U.S. passport when traveling outside of the United States. If you plan to study or travel abroad in the next year, apply for your passport now. Some countries also require a visa to legally enter or reside in the country.
U.S. citizens will not need a visa or other special document to enter the country for the length of this program. Please also note that visa requirements may vary if you plan to stay in the country longer than the program dates or travel to other countries during or after the program. Please familiarize yourself with these recommendations and requirements prior to applying to this program.
For more specific visa related information, please visit OGO’s Visa Information Page
Information for Non-U.S. citizens can be found here.