Daniel K.C. Shao Scholarship
The Daniel K.C. Shao Scholarship is for student studying abroad or conducting research in Asia.
- Semester or academic year – students required to enroll for 12 OHIO credits, or the full-time equivalent, during each term abroad.
- Summer programs – students required to enroll for a minimum of 6 OHIO credits, or the equivalent.
- Independent/graduate research - students required to work with faculty on research plan.
- For students studying abroad or conducting research in Asia.
- OHIO undergraduate or graduate students in good academic standing
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Students must have their study abroad or research experiences planned at the time of application; the program must be an approved part of their degree program. Visit the Office of Global Opportunities for more information.
Read the instructions carefully to make sure you have the required information and materials before you proceed.
- Short Essay Prompts - All Applicants
- Tell us about yourself (This is a chance for the scholarship committee to get to know you. You may want to identify how you fit the scholarship criteria).
- Describe your prospective global experience (study, intern, volunteer, or research experience on site or virtually) and what factors led you to select this opportunity and the length of the experience.
- Why do you want to participate on your selected global experience (Please consider the following questions: what do you hope to gain, how does your experience fit into your future academic and professional plans, how will your experience allow you to share your experience with the OHIO community and/or the world)
- Short Essay Prompts - Daniel K.C. Shao Scholarship applicants
- If you have additional comments, which will help the scholarship review committee determine the level of your funding, please add a brief explanation here
- Please tell us about your interest in Asia, the education abroad program you have selected, and why you have chosen that program.
- If you have previously studied, worked or lived abroad in Asia, please provide a brief description of the experience(s) or programs.
- For internships and/or independent study abroad programs, please include a detailed explanation of proposed project/area of research.
- DARS - The most current copy of your DARS or a transcript from OHIO. Note: graduate students, who have completed only one semester of study at OHIO will be asked to submit an undergraduate transcript.
- 2 Reference Letters - This application requires two reference letters addressing the selection criteria listed. It is your responsibility to ensure that the required reference letter is received by the Office of Global Opportunities by the deadline. . See scholarship application for more information. References should be emailed directly to email@example.com.
- Estimated Program Cost - You are also required to submit a cost estimate for your intended program. You may upload a Student Budget Worksheet from your OHIO study away program or estimated costs from a provider program. Alternatively you can download the OGO Budget creation form here: https://bit.ly/budgetcreationform. If you have any questions about this requirement please contact the Office of Global Opportunities to work with an advisor.
For an overview of the questions in the application system, please click here.
Range from $500-$1500
- Summer 2021, Fall 2021, and Academic Year 2021-2022 Programs
- Applications will be accepted through 11:59pm April 15, 2021. Funds will be awarded funds on a rolling basis, as applications are reviewed each week.
- Winter Break, Spring Semester, and Spring Break Programs: November 1, 2020 at 11:59pm (application to open August/Sept)
Read the application instructions carefully to make sure you have the required information and materials ready.
The Daniel K.C. Shao Scholarship is now part of the OGO Common Application for scholarships. Through the common application, OHIO students will be able to apply for multiple scholarships in one place. For an overview of the questions in the application system, please click here. If you have any questions please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or schedule a drop in appointment here.