Resources and Related Links
General Global Health Resources
- CDC Global Health site
- Consortium of Universities for Global Health (CUGH) Educational Modules - Contains a listing of online modules for a variety of Global Health topics.
- edX - Online courses on a variety of topics including global health.
- First Do No Harm - A documentary video created by Alyson and Timothy Holland that explores the ethics of global health clinical electives and volunteer projects in developing regions.
- Global Health NOW - Major forum for news related to global health.
- Global Medical Experience - Short-term international programs for medical students can have unintended consequences
- Hesperian Health Guides - Books and other resources for global health education and projects in multiple languages. Titles include "Where There Is No Doctor", "Helping Health Workers Learn", and "A Health Handbook For Women With Disabilities". Digital tools include health images, content to use in low resource settings, and the safe pregnancy and birth app in English and Spanish.
- NextGenU - Free online courses on a variety of medical and global health topics
- Queensland Health Ward Communication Tool - Developed by Queensland Health to assist staff to communicate with people who do not speak English well, or at all, about simple day-to-day issues. It may also assist staff to initiate communication.The tool contains words commonly used in hospital wards, together with a translation of the word, a picture and a phonetic (sounds like) spelling of the word.
- Seven Reasons Why Your Two Week Trip to Haiti Doesn't Matter - Calling "Bull" on Service Trips
- Some Health Programs Overseas Let Students Do Too Much, Too Soon - An article that explores how practicing beyond your skill level abroad can hurt your career and the populations you believe you are helping.
- The Practioners Guide to Global Health. A three-part free online course.
- The University of Minnesota Global Ambassadors for Patient Safety online workshop.
- The Voluntourists Dilemma - NY Times
- The World is Not Your Classroom
- CDC Travelers' Health site
- International SOS - You can log into ISOS using the ID 11bca000010
- Ohio University Campus Care Travel Clinic Consultation & Vaccination Policy
- Ohio University Campus Care Travel Clinic Things to Think About When Travelling
- Ohio University Campus Care Travel History Form
- Ohio University Campus Care Travel History Form Staff
- OSAC - All That You Should Leave Behind - Article that discusses the items you should not take with you when traveling.
- U.S. Department of State International Travel Information - Country specific information, travel alerts and travel warnings.