Skip to: Main Content Search Main Navigation Audience Navigation


For Students

What funding is available for students to participate in international programs?

  • Depending on whether you are traveling on an independent or group program there are financing options available including your student financial aid, sponsored travel awards and raising money from friends and family.  As no one source will fund all of your trip you will want to consider pursuing multiple options.  For more information go to Financial Aid-Travel Awards page.

How do I select an international program?

  • Many considerations go into selecting a program.  Do you want to participate in an OU Faculty Directed program or would your prefer a more independent option?  You will want to think about  your career/or professional interests and the geographical location.  You may also want to explore your comfort level working and living in low resource areas.  Two key considerations are making sure you select a reputable organization that provides appropriate supervision for your level of skill and that location is not on the State Department Travel Warning list.  More information on selecting a program is included on the How To Select a Program page. 

Why am I required to get HTH Health Insurance and/or Malpractice Insurance if I already have those?

  • Domestic health insurance or malpractice insurance do not cover you when outside of the United States.  You are required to purchase special health and/or malpractice insurance to cover you for the length of stay in the country to which you are traveling. You can extend the health insurance to cover you during any additional travel that is not part of the international program in which you are participating.  The OU Office of Education Abroad and the OU Global Health Office have negotiated special prices for this insurance coverage.

For Faculty

How can the Global Health Office help me develop an international global health program?

  • In partnership with the Office of Education Abroad, the Global Health Office works with HCOM and CHSP faculty to develop an initial Study Abroad Proposal for approval by the Study Abroad Committee, answer questions as the program is implemented, develop marketing for the program, conduct the student application process and evaluate the program upon completion. For more information contact us at

For Community

How can I get involved with OU Global Health?

  • If you are a certified healthcare professional, including physician, nurse, physical therapist, speech therapist, etc., you may be able to participate as a preceptor on one of our international global health programs. We also often conduct donation drives for supplies or funds to send on our clinical care programs or to clinics in low resource areas run by OU alumni or other partners. Contact the Global Health Office for more information.