Location: Leipzig, Germany
- The relationship between OHIO and Leipzig University dates back to the 1880s when two OHIO faculty members earned their doctorates at Leipzig University. They were John Pancoast Gordy and James E. Le Rossignol.
- OHIO Journalism Professor Robert Stewart took on a leadership role in the partnership in 1992, when OHIO and Leipzig University were just beginning to work together. Professor Stewart has continued to serve as a leader for the partnership since that time.
- Collaboration between OHIO's Global Leadership Center (GLC) and the American Studies at Leipzig began in 2009. Since then, 125 GLC students and 100 Leipzig students have been involved while completing various projects. Funding from DAAD has brought 17 Leipzig students and one professor (Crister Garrett) to OU/GLC and approximately 50 GLC students have travelled to Leipzig.
- In the summer of 2013, the E.W Scripps School of Journalism organized a "Travel at the Crossroads of Europe: Communicating Culture and Place" study abroad program in Leipzig. Students in the program jointly produced a live radio show that aired on the Leipzig student radio station, Mephisto. More information is available at Borderless Bobcats.
The Ohio-Leipzig European Center (OLEC) at Leipzig offers attractive and high-quality study-abroad options to students at both institutions. For OHIO students, OLEC serves as an interdisciplinary program that focuses on modern European topics and is usually accompanied with an overlying project, German language courses and numerous day-trips. So far, more than 500 OHIO and Leipzig students have taken part in the OLEC program. Click here to see videos created by OLEC students.
Areas of Partnership
- OHIO and Leipzig University have an MOU for projects of mutual benefit for sustainable collaboration in health related areas.
Scripps College of Communication
- Scripps College of Communication students travel to Leipzig to work with the students there on media projects each year. Click here for more information.
- The School of Journalism has been facilitating an internship arrangement between Leipzig and WOUB for more than 10 years.
- OHIO and Leipzig have a longstanding collaboration in Chemistry and Biochemistry for student and faculty exchange programs, seminars and research.
- The exchange has resulted in joint grant applications, funded grants, co-authored papers and international experience for students.
- In January 2013, OHIO and UL signed a letter of intent to create a master's degree program in chemistry and biochemistry.
Global Leadership Center
- In 2014, the Global Leadership Center (OHIO) and American Studies (Leipzig) expanded their collaboration by involving OHIO's Edison Biotechnology Institute and Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry and related units at Leipzig.
- History Professor Dr. Chester Pach spent the week of June 10, 2013 in Leipzig giving talks to student and faculty groups and recruiting potential students for the M.A. and Ph.D. programs in OHIO's Department of History.
College of Business
College of Business previously had a Global Consulting Program with Leipzig and is currently discussing new programs such as:
- Faculty exchanges
- A joint research initiative focusing on international business and entrepreneurship
- Collaboration on doctoral and post-doctoral research
- Participation of Leipzig students in the College of Business' 3+1, 3+1+1 programs.
- Participation of OHIO students in entrepreneurial activities in Leipzig.
- College of Business previously had a Global Consulting Program with Leipzig and is currently discussing new programs such as:
News & Updates
- Presidential visit celebrates 20-year partnership between OHIO and Leipzig University
- 20-year partnership celebrated in Leipzig
- Scripps students in Leipzig take a punch (at radio)