Honors & Recognition
Ohio University values the accomplishments and successes of its faculty, staff, students, and alumni through various awards and recognition as presented below. Ohio University also encourages its community members to apply for external awards that are globally recognized.
Awards for Excellence in Global Engagement
Click here for nomination information and additional information on the Awards for Excellence in Global Engagement.
- Faculty Award for Excellence in Global Engagement: Edna Wangui, Associate Professor of Geography
- Staff Award for Excellence in Global Engagement: Catherine Marshall, Director of the Office of Global Opportunities
- Alumni Award for Excellence in Global Engagement: Beatrice Selotlegeng, a 2008 graduate of OHIO’s Master of Business Administration Program who today serves the College of Business as an academic advisor and director of the Junior Executive Business Program.
- Tanaka-OHIO Award for Excellence in Global Engagement: Tadashi Shiozawa, Professor of English Language and Culture at Chubu University.
- Special Recognition for Dedication and Leadership: Thom Luce, Professor and Co-Chair in the College of Business’ Management Information Systems Program and former UIC Chair.
- Special Recognition for Leadership Global Achievements While President: Ohio University President Roderick J. McDavis
Please click here to read more about the 2016 Global Engagement Awards Ceremony.
Please click here for photos from the event.
- Faculty Award for Excellence in Global Engagement: Steve Howard, Center for International Studies Director and Professor in the Scripps College of Communication's School of Media Arts and Studies
- Staff Award for Excellence in Global Engagement: Usha Matta, Director of International Student Services in OHIO’s Graduate College
- Alumni Award for Excellence in Global Engagement: Aggrey Otieno, a 2011 graduate of OHIO’s master of arts in international affairs, community and development studies program, who today is an innovator and leader in the field of maternal and child health in Kenya.
- Tanaka-OHIO Award for Excellence in Global Engagement: Dr. Haruka Wazaki, a Chubu University professor whose expertise is in cultural anthropology with a focus on Africa.
- Faculty Award for Excellence in Global Engagement: Amritjit Singh, Langston Hughes Professor of English and African American Studies
- Staff Award for Excellence in Global Engagement: Gerard Krzic, Director of the Ohio Program of Intensive English (OPIE)
- Alumni Award for Excellence in Global Engagement: David Andrew Strobel, Regional American Red Cross representative in Bangkok, Thailand
Please click here to read more about the 2014 Awards Ceremony.
- Staff Award: Emily Singer, Assistant Director, Center for International Business, College of Business
- Faculty Award: Gillian Ice, PhD, MPH Associate Professor of Biological Anthropology and Gerontology, Director of International Programs, Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Alumni Award: Vibert Cambridge, MA '88, PhD '89, Professor Emeritus, School of Media Arts and Studies
International Honors for faculty, staff and students
Malinski Wins Prestigious Grande Medaille d’Or in Paris
Dr. Tadeusz Malinski, Ohio University’s Marvin White Chair and Distinguished Professor, was awarded with the Grand Gold Medal by the Society of Arts-Sciences-Letters (ASL) in Paris, France recently. Click here for more information.
Sierra Club names Ohio University one of America’s Greenest Universities
Ohio University has been identified as one of America’s Greenest Universities by the Sierra Club. The list, which was announced on Aug. 11, rates institutions based on performance in the following areas: co-curricular, energy, investments, food, innovation, academics, planning, purchasing, transportation, waste and water. Click here for more information.
Ohio University named one of 14 Promising Places to Work in Student Affairs
Ohio University has been named one of the 2015 Promising Places to Work in Student Affairs at Research Institutions by the American College Personnel Association (ACPA) and Diverse: Issues in Higher Education magazine. Click here for more information.