Transfer Student Immigration Information
Transfer Student Information
As a newly admitted international student to Ohio University in F-1 or J-1 status with an active SEVIS record you may require an electronic SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) transfer prior to enrolling at Ohio University.
- Once you receive admission to Ohio University, it is important to notify your current institution of your desire to transfer. They will most likely have paperwork for you to begin the process.
There are certain documents and materials that you will need to provide for you transfer to be completed. Please refer to the Office of Admission for more information.
Click here to view the Office of Undergraduate International Admissions website.
Click here to view the Graduate College's website.
- It is recommended that you do not leave your current school until you are certain that all of the documentation that has to be completed by you and your international student advisor is complete and submitted to Ohio University.
When you have submitted all of the documents that Admission requires, an international student advisor in the Office of International Student and Faculty Services (ISFS) will be notified and then they will begin to process your transfer immigration documents.
Be sure to provide either your current mailing address or specify that you will be picking your immigration document up when you arrive at Ohio University.
- If you are planning to leave the United States prior to receiving your immigration document (I-20 or DS-2019), please communicate this intent to the international student advisor who is processing your transfer AT LEAST TWO WEEKS IN ADVANCE.
- YOU MUST RE-ENTER THE UNITED STATES USING THE I-20 GIVEN TO YOU BY OHIO UNIVERSITY.
- NOTE: Ohio University does not utilize courier services like FedEx or UPS for mailing transfer immigration documents. We can only mail them to you via standard mail. That means that there is no guarantee that it will arrive to you on time.
- Be sure to provide either your current mailing address or specify that you will be picking your immigration document up when you arrive at Ohio University.
Important Notice For F-1 Transfer Students:
All transferring students in F-1 status will receive TWO (2) forms I-20 during their transfer process. The first I-20 will be the SEVIS-Transfer Pending I-20 which indicates your intention to transfer to Ohio University. You will receive the second I-20, the SEVIS-Transfer Completed I-20, when you have arrived at Ohio University and have checked in.
Your transfer is NOT CONSIDERED COMPLETE until you have received both documents, and failure to receive both documents could result in a violation of your F-1 status. Ask your international student advisor any questions if you are unsure about this process.
Important Notice For J-1 Transfer Students:
All transferring students in J-1 status are required to have their "Transfer Pending" form DS-2019 endorsed by the Responsible Office (RO) or an Alternate Responsible Office (ARO) at THEIR CURRENT SCHOOL prior to the completion of the SEVIS transfer.
Please Note: You may have to remain at your current school until the RO/ARO at Ohio University issues you the transfer-pending DS-2019. The RO/ARO at your current school may need this document to endorse your current DS-2019. Do not forget that ISFS must receive this endorsed DS-2019 prior to your enrollment at Ohio University. Ask your international student advisor any questions if you are unsure about this process.