Frequently Asked Questions



Where is Facilities Management & Safety located?

Facilities Management & Safety is located in the University Service Center building at 49 Factory Street.

Our mailing address is 49 Factory Street, Athens, Ohio 45701 and our reception office number is 593-2911.

How do I submit a work request?

Submitting Work Requests

Facilities Management & Safety uses an online work request system called iServiceDesk. Facilities Management & Safety Work Center will ensure that your work requests are routed to the appropriate technicians.

Emergency Requests

If your request is an emergency or items that need immediate response (i.e., breaker tripped, broken water pipe, no heat/no cooling etc.), please call the Work Center at 593-2911.

Where can I find official building information?

Click here for the University Planning & Space Management campus map website.

What are some of the billable services charged by Facilities Management?

The billable services include but not limited to:

  • Carpet/upholstery installation
  • Upholstery cleaning
  • Special events set-ups
  • Furniture repair 
  • Keys and re-keying services 
  • Project coordination for planning and renovation 
  • Departmentally-owned equipment repair 
  • Specialty painting 
  • Fabricated items 
  • Support services involving weekends and holidays 
  • Requests for non-maintenance support after normal working hours

Labor rates as follows:

Trade Labor Rate per Hour
Maintenance $51.00
Custodial $38.00
Grounds $51.00
Recycling $51.00
Students $15.50


How do I get a key?

Ohio University has an Access Control program.

  • If you are a contractor requesting a key, you must have the approval from a project manager to obtain a key through Access Control
  • Students that are requesting a key must contact their specific Residence Life Office.
  • Employees requesting keys need to contact their departmental Key Contact/s.

If you have any further questions or need general information not provided on this page, you may contact Matt Smith, Assistant Director for Access Control at 593-1758.

Who do I call if I have a complaint?

  • Work Center/Customer Service -  Shari Gillispie: 740-593-2911 for assistance

Who do I call if I have a problem such as insects or rodents, or wish to report a trapped or injured animal?

Click here to submit an online work request or call 740-593-2911.

What do I do if I have a computer/internet related problem?

All computer related problems need to be addressed through OIT. Their phone number is 740-593-1222.

Who do I contact if I’m experiencing phone problems?

You will need to contact the OIT Service Desk. Their phone number is 740-593-1222

Where can I find information about the recycling program on campus?

Information about Campus Recycling may be obtained by calling 740-593-2911 or following this link: Campus Recycling

You can find information about items that Ohio University Recycling will recycle on their webpage.

What should I do when my area is either too hot or too cold?

If your area is not at an acceptable temperature, please submit a work request online and Facilities will do their best to address the issue in a timely manner.

To submit a work order, click here

During seasonal changes you can expect delays in comfort levels. It takes time for the equipment to come on line and regulate temperatures accordingly. In these transition periods please prepare for the conditions in your offices, labs, and classrooms.

In an effort to reduce the internal heat in the buildings please shut off lights, coffee pots, copy machines, computers, etc., if possible when not in use.

When will my building/office be cleaned?

Please see the link below for updated schedule for building and office cleaning. If there are further questions or concerns, please submit an online work request or contact 740-593-2911.

Who should I call if I would like to have something moved?

If you would like something in your office, classroom, or lab moved please contact Moving & Surplus at 740-593-0463.