Officer Transition Resources
Transitioning knowledge and role responsibilities from outgoing to incoming officers is vital for student organizations’ long-term success. The transition process provides new officers with the opportunity to learn from outgoing officers about their position and responsibilities. Proactive and successful transitions will facilitate the following:
- Transfer of organization ownership and historical knowledge
- Seamless continuity of the organization’s progress, growth, and goals
- Reinforcement of productive communication and support between officers to plan and create new goals
- Development of a sense of pride and mission-aligned purpose in the new officers
A successful officer transition requires more than a one-hour meeting. During an officer's entire time in their role, they should be documenting processes, progress, recommendations, and goals.
A transition guide is available for your organization to use. There are helpful questions and checklists for both outgoing and incoming officers. When transitioning, we recommend following the outlined steps:
- Outgoing officers complete the ‘Outgoing Officer Checklist’ and ‘Outgoing Officer Worksheet’
- Incoming officers complete the ‘Incoming Officer Worksheet’
- Outgoing and new officer board meet for transition meeting (sample agenda available in the transition guide)
a. During the group transition meeting, ensure time is allocated for one-on-one meetings for individual officer transitions.