No. You may decide to take one course at a time, two courses, or all of the courses within the same summer (recommended option). Currently, Ohio University only plans to teach these courses during the summers so if it will take you longer to complete the endorsement if you do not take all coursework in one summer. Courses run 7 weeks and are entirely online.
Early Childhood Generalist (Grades 4-5) Endorsement Online
Program Code: ND8869 (Graduate) ND8928 (Undergraduate)
The Early Childhood Generalist Endorsement (Grade 4–5), offered in the summer term only, allows teachers who hold a current valid Ohio Early Childhood Education (PreK–Grade 3) license to teach all core academic content areas in grades four and five. The program is made up of 5 courses that are available entirely online plus field experience. The addition of this endorsement to your license provides school districts with greater staffing flexibility, Early Childhood teachers with additional teaching options, and facilitates the mobility of teachers into Ohio from other states.
Ohio University will be offering this program at both the Undergraduate and Graduate levels for 2021. There is no guarantee that we will continue offering this program at the Undergraduate level beyond Summer 2021 so if you are a current Ohio University student or a Patton College alum consider enrolling 2021.
Please watch our informative video, to learn more about:
- Courses and when they are offered
- Field Experience
- Ohio Assessment for Educators (OAE)
- Eligibility to take the program
Who can enroll?
- Current Ohio University undergraduate students who wish to complete the endorsement must have successfully completed their junior-level courses to enroll in the undergraduate program during the summer. If you choose this option, we strongly recommend that you only take the endorsement program as it is a rigorous program by itself.
- Ohio University seniors who are graduating in the spring or former graduates of the Ohio University Early Childhood program may enroll in either the undergraduate or graduate program.
- Currently licensed Early Childhood educators are eligible for this program at the undergraduate and graduate level per Ohio Department of Education regulations, but Endorsement cohorts are not eligible for GA/GRS tuition waivers. You must have at least a 2.75 Undergraduate GPA to be accepted into the graduate-level program and submit official transcripts from all universities attended when you apply unless you are an Ohio University graduate.
|Term||4th-5th Grade Generalist Courses||Credits|
|Summer||EDEL 4250/5250 Teaching Reading and Language Arts to Fourth and Fifth Graders||2|
|Summer||EDEL 3560/5560 Teaching Social Studies to Fourth and Fifth Graders||2|
|Summer||EDEL 4370/5370 Teaching Mathematics to Fourth and Fifth Graders||2|
|Summer||EDEL 4480/5480 Teaching Science to Fourth and Fifth Graders||2|
|Summer||EDPL 3910/5910 Field Experience in Grades 4 & 5||1|
Tuition Fees and Financial Aid:
Tuition and fees for this program at the graduate level are available on the Bursar's website. Only two courses require materials and you may purchase them wherever you like to get the best deal. For tuition and fees at the undergraduate level please visit https://www.ohio.edu/bursar/undergraduate-tuition.
Financial Aid is available but limited to undergraduate Direct Loans that require a minimum of six credit hours. Please complete 2020-2021 FAFSA application. Contact Financial Aid if you have questions: email@example.com.
Our next graduate cohort is scheduled to begin in May 2021 during our Summer term. Applications will again be accepted beginning in January 2021 for this program. The deadline for application is April 30, 2021 (No exceptions) for admission to the entire Summer program.