ATC - Advanced Teacher Capacity
Advanced Teacher Capacity offers professional development in mathematics, statistics, and modeling for mathematics teachers in Grades 9-12 to prepare them for four years of high school mathematics for all students. This initiative has been supported by grants from the Improving Teacher Quality Program administered by the Ohio Department of Higher Education.
ATC Online Webinars
are open to all past, present, and future ATC scholars. The webinar room will open at 7:40 p.m. Please sign in early as a guest to test your equipment so that we may begin the webinar promptly at 8:00 p.m. To participate, go to https://adobeconnect.oit.ohio.edu/foley/ .
Past Webinar Dates and Topics:
- 17 August 2016. Implementing and Assessing Modeling: Gorsuch
- 7 September 2016. Linear Differences: Ashurst and Foley
- 21 September 2016. Proof for Student-Centered Learning and Assessment: Foley and Gorsuch
- 5 October 2016. Taxicab Geometry: Haren and Howard
- 19 October 2016. Assessing Modeling: A Summative Approach: Gorsuch and Haren
- 2 November 2016. Geometry of Complex Numbers: Phelps and Gorsuch
- 7 December 2016. Vectors and Linear Equations: Howard and Phelps
- 18 January 2017. Project-Based Learning, Design Thinking, and Mathematical Modeling: Gorsuch and Haren
- 1 February 2017. Mapping Mathematics to Social Science: Foley and Sinha
- 15 February 2017. Triangle Centers: Ashurst and Phelps
- 1 March 2017. Modeling Data with Desmos: Haren and Gorsuch
- 15 March 2017. More Attempts at Modeling and What I Have Learned: Carolyn Fisher and Chris Haren
- 5 April 2017. Modspar Scholar Presentation
- 19 April 2017. Modspar Scholar Presentation
To view archived ATC webinars click here.
Here's what past ATC scholars have said:
"I enjoyed becoming more comfortable with the technology."
"The institutes were content-rich."
"The BEST professional development available to high school (mathematics) teachers. The BEST model with follow-up."
"[Now]...I help my students to be critical thinkers by asking questions that are of high cognitive demand. I also engage my students in teamwork and collaborative activities to help them develop their communicating skills. In addition, I incorporate technology in my teaching so students can have multiple representations of ...concepts."
For more information about ATC, contact Greg Foley.
The total estimated costs for the 2016-2017 Modspar project are $313,978, which includes a $175,598 grant of federal funds from the Improving Teacher Quality Program administered by the Ohio Department of Higher Education, covering approximately 56% of the total costs.
The 2017-2018 Modspar program is supported by the Modspar grant. The total estimated costs for the 2017-2018 Modspar project are $329,872, which includes a $185,142 grant of federal funds from the Improving Teacher Quality Program administered by the Ohio Department of Higher Education, covering approximately 56% of the total costs.