Search within:

General Faculty Resources

“Top of the Top Tier” (T3) Journal Publishing Incentive for Tenure-Track Faculty

“Top of the Top Tier” (T3) Journal Publishing Incentive for Tenure-Track Faculty

Purpose and Goals of the Incentive The goal of the incentive is to engage and support collaborative scholarship with rigorous research design among tenure track faculty, resulting in empirical data analysis in highly visible peer-reviewed publications. Moreover, this incentive’s purpose is to advance the national prominence of PCOE faculty and the College itself, resulting in enhanced support to faculty who desire to expand their visibility as national and international experts. Such visibility increases opportunities for recruiting and retaining top quality students.

Financial award
Authors of published articles meeting the parameters for the Incentive will receive remuneration in the form of a summer research stipend of $3,000 for single authors (or one Patton College author among a group of authors) and a total of $6,000 to be equally distributed among multiple authors (from PCOE) in recognition of the achievement. This compensation will be provided in the form of a summer (overload) appointment for the purpose of supporting research endeavors in the summer term following the publication. Collaboration is encouraged. The incentive summer research support compensation is limited to Patton College tenure track faculty. Each Patton College tenure track faculty member may receive only one stipend per year.

Process for Summer Research Appointment
PCOE Tenure track faculty members who author publications meeting the criteria should submit this Qualtrics Form to the Associate Dean for Research (1) evidence of the publication and (2) a brief outline describing the research work that will occur during the summer appointment. 


Upon approval, the Associate Dean will authorize the summer appointment, which will be executed for the period July 1 – August 15 during the summer session following the publication date.

Summary: Rather than including specific journals like the original T3 process, quantitative metrics are used for journal inclusion. The rationale is that many PCOE faculty might be publishing or attempting to publish in journals that were specifically on the T3 list, but by broadening the journal list, faculty may target more appropriate, high- impact journals within their field. For this reason, the inclusion criteria included following metrics: Include all journals with Current Year OR 5-Year impact factor greater than or equal to 1.5 at the time of acceptance. The impact factor should be printed from the Journal’s homepage that clearly identifies the impact factor.


  • The Journal of Counseling and Development will be included as a T3 journal, even though it does not currently meet the criteria listed above. This is the flagship journal for the Counseling Education program.
  • Consistent with The Patton College’s 2029 Strategic Plan and commitment to ensuring that we engage in practices that are inclusive of writing for broader audiences in more inclusive ways (Strategic Goal 9, Objective 4), The PCOE Dean’s Office requests the following journals be included to be in light with the 2029 Strategic Plan: ​Journal of Negro Education, International Journal for Qualitative Studies in Education, Race, Ethnicity, and Education, Urban Education

In addition to fully retrievable citation of the publication meeting the parameters of the incentive, “Online First” and “Advance” publications available on the journal’s homepage (e.g., not preprint repositories like SocArxiv, PsyArxiv) can be considered for the incentive pursuant to the time period and summer appointment mentioned above. The Impact factor will be considered at the time of initial submission OR at time of publication. The author submitting the T3 summer research request must attach all documentation to the submission.



Large Grant Mentoring Program

Grant Writing Mentor Program for Federal/State/Large Multi-Year Funding Opportunities

Application Link:

The purpose of this mentoring program is to support faculty interested in pursuing Federal/State and other large multi-year (3+) research and build college capacity for funding opportunities. Due to the competitive nature and difficulty in receiving awards at this level, we believe faculty will benefit from specific support from more experienced individuals during the grant-writing process. This program provides funding to a mentor to engage in work with Patton College faculty. The work agreed to as part of the MOU is intended to help faculty that have written (or been part of a team of writers) and received smaller grant funding – or have written (or been part of a team of writers) for but not yet received larger grant funding – be better prepared to write larger grants and thus have applications that are more competitive and likely to receive positive feedback and, ultimately, funding.

This opportunity differs from the established Patton College Research Mentor Program in that this program targets mid-career faculty and focuses specifically on grant-writing, not general research-related work.

Upon the identification of a relevant funding opportunity with significant lead time to submission, an MOU will be developed that includes, but is not limited to, the following activities:

  • Establishing and maintaining a detailed grant writing/review/feedback schedule;
  • Scheduling a mid-point and final check-in with the Associate Dean;
  • Regularly communicating regarding grant writing progress;
  • Identifying and engaging with a grant reviewer (an individual to provide feedback on the grant prior to submission); and
  • Submission of a federal/state/large, multi-year grant proposal.

Regarding “large grants,” funding should be for a minimum of $150,000 over multiple years. The Research Grants Development Coordinator has a list of possible grant opportunities available.

Faculty will engage in discussion with the Associate Dean for Research, Research Grants Development Coordinator, and their Department Chair and present a timeline of events before the MOU is approved.

  • Work on initial grant submissions should span at least six months (working backwards from the grant submission deadline, as determined through consultation with the Research Grants Development Coordinator).
  • Work on grant revisions should span at least three months (working backwards from the grant submission deadline, as determined through consultation with the Research Grants Development Coordinator).

Eligibility and Parameters:

  • All Tenure-Track Faculty and Center Directors are eligible to engage in the Grant Writing Mentor Program
    • Faculty/Center Directors may apply as individuals (PI) or in pairs (Co-PIs)
    • Multiple Patton College faculty (tenure track and instructional), Center Directors, and faculty from across and outside of Ohio University can be part of the grant team, but only 1-2 tenure-track faculty/Center Directors from The Patton College can enter into the MOU
  • The Mentor may be internal to the University or from another University/entity
  • The Mentor may not be part of the grant team
  • The Mentor needs to be approved by the Associate Dean for Research

Financial support is provided to the mentor as follows:

Initial grant submissions

  • 1 faculty member (PI) working with a Mentor – $1,000
    • $500 paid upon entering into the MOU; $500 paid upon completion of the grant
  • 2 faculty members (PI and Co-PI) working with a Mentor – $1,500
    • $750 paid upon entering into the MOU; $750 paid upon completion of the grant

Grant Resubmissions

  • 1 faculty member (PI) working with a Mentor – $500
    • $250 paid upon entering into the MOU; $250 paid upon completion of the grant
  • 2 faculty members (PI and Co-PI) working with a Mentor – $750
    • $375 paid upon entering into the MOU; $375 paid upon completion of the grant
General University and College-wide FAQ about Resources

What are the different faculty classifications?

Tenure-track faculty are either full or part-time and are designated as an assistant professor, associate professor, or professor. Tenure-track faculty are eligible for tenure and/or promotion.

Instructional faculty are non-tenure track, full or part-time and are designated as assistant professor of instruction, associate professor of instruction, or professor of instruction. Instructional faculty are eligible for promotion but not tenure.

Fixed-term contract faculty are non-tenure track, full or part-time, and may be temporary. Full-time temporary faculty that earn benefits are Visiting Professors while part-time, temporary faculty are Instructors.

What is my PID number?

All Ohio University employees have a Personal Identification number (PID). Upon hire, all employees should go to the Bobcat Depot located on the bottom floor of Baker Center to obtain their OHIO ID. The PID is located on the ID card.

What do I do if I lose my ID card?

Obtain another one at Bobcat Depot on the lower floor of Baker Center; Fees will apply.

Who do I contact with a maintenance issue that needs attention?

Maintenance issues within your department should be directed your department administrative specialist. Larger or more urgent maintenance issues need reported to Helen Watson (740-593-4405) or Beth Lydic (740- 593-4401) in the Dean’s Office. **Afterhours maintenance emergencies Facilities Management (740-593- 2911).

Can I reserve a meeting room?

Yes. There are several “seminar” rooms throughout the building. These rooms vary in size and hold between 16-24 people. The Shared Services Team will be able to offer instructions for reserving one.

If I have a problem with a colleague or student whom should I turn to for help?

Faculty should follow the chain of command, beginning with the program coordinator when possible. If a situation arises that you do not comfortable with, you should talk to your department chairperson. In an emergency call OUPD at 593-2911 and report it to the Dean’s Office as soon as possible.

Faculty can complete a formal disposition assessment on a student. This alerts the Office of Student Affairs about the concern and initiates a formal review process conducted by the Credential Review and Candidate Progress Board to ensure due process. If you intend to submit a disposition assessment, please contact Assistant Dean Coon in Student Affairs for the appropriate form.

There is also an Ohio University Code of Conduct. The Ohio University’s Office of Community Standards & Student Responsibility will be consulted if a student’s conduct seems problematic.

How do I turn in grades?

Several weeks prior to the end of the semester you will receive an email from the registrar indicating that you can go into the Faculty and Advising Center ( Only faculty should submit grades including special grade requests (

What is an “I” and a “PR”?

“I” = incomplete – This grade turns into an F, after six weeks.

“PR” = Progress – grade changes form

What is “Turn-it-In”?

Turn-it-In is a built-in element in Blackboard that can check any documents for plagiarism. If used through Blackboard, this is a free service to any OHIO faculty or student. In The Patton College, all theses and dissertations are submitted to a Turn-it-In review as a part of the final submission process and reviews at department and college levels.

What is One Drive and how do I access it?

Ohio University’s secure cloud storage utilizes Microsoft One Drive. Use One Drive to share files and collaborate with multiple individuals across campus or elsewhere. To activate your free OHIO One Drive account visit the OIT website and follow the prompts.

How do I reserve one of the college vans?

Contact Bre Demko ( in the Dean’s Office for details on van usage policy and assistance making reservations.

How do I locate the contact information of someone at Ohio University?

You must first go to Ohio University’s home page. Located at the top right, click Search and then select People. Type the person’s name, starting with last name first followed by a comma then their first name. Example: Doe, John. Alternatively, you can search specific office names by selecting “”

Where can I park my vehicle?

You should call, visit, or email Transportation and Parking Services to check options that work best for you. Ohio University Parking Services

How do I get a temporary parking permit for a guest of the college?

At least one week prior to needing the permit contact the Administrative Specialist of your department with event details for assistance/direction.

What assistance is available to me at Alden Library?

The Patton College has two specific Support Librarians, Chris Guder who specializes in education (740-597- 1975), Alden Library 206 and Sherry Saines who specializes in social sciences (for Patton College – specifically HCS) (740-593-9587), also housed in Alden Library.

Who can help me with grants?

Chip Rice 740-597-9007, 102D McCracken Hall is The Patton College’s Research Grants Development Coordinator. Faculty should work with Chip as they seek grant opportunities

Departmental FAQ (e.g.,travel funds, office hours, courses)

How do I know when my program and/or department meetings are scheduled?

Each program and department hold regular meetings. Meeting times and locations can be found on The Patton College calendar ( Typically meeting information is also sent via email. Departmental administrative specialists may place the meeting times on your calendar.

How do I pay for a conference?

Check with your department chair.

Do I need to hold office hours?

Yes. Full time faculty members are required to have formal office hours scheduled and communicated to students. Faculty should check with their department chair on specific requirements.

Where do I find my syllabus? If I need to create one, are there specific things that must be included? Is there a master syllabus?

Each department should have a file of all approved syllabi. Departmental syllabi are also located on the Patton College shared drive. (See below for directions for accessing shared drive.) If the syllabus is not there, contact the Department Chair.

If a syllabus needs to be created, there are specific items that must be included (e.g., contact information, evaluation criteria, disability statement, national/state accreditation standards). To ensure consistency, contact your department chair for guidance.

How do students gain permission to enroll in a class?

The class permission process (formerly known as a green slip) is available online. Students are able to initiate a permission request online and the instructor will be notified to approve or deny the request. If approved, the student will finalize their registration using their My OHIO Student Center.

Can I make changes in my courses or do I need to seek approval?

Any substantial change in a course needs to obtain department, college, and university approval. Course changes or new course approvals are submitted in OCEAN (OHIO Curriculum Enhancement and Approval Network). You should direct questions to your program coordinator and department chair. Information about course guidelines can be located on the Individual Course Committee guidelines senate/committees/individual-course-committee

What textbook do I need?

Textbook information should be listed on all course syllabi. If you are unsure of what textbook you should use, please contact your program coordinator and/or department chair. If it is a new class or if you have the option of selecting a new textbook you can obtain a desk copy of the book to review prior to selecting that text.

Additionally, State of Ohio law requires all textbooks that are required for a course to be listed on the course offerings website. To list your textbooks in this system, faculty are required to go to the Registrar’s website and log into the “Textbook and Materials” button.

How can I see my course in course offerings and find where the course is taking place?

All OHIO course offerings are located on the University Registrar in the Course Offerings. Once a course is selected, click the arrow to the left of the course number for additional course information (e.g., course description, class location).

How do I find my class list?

The Ohio University Faculty and Advising Center is available from the University Registrar website. Faculty must use their OHIO login information to access the system. Select the Teaching dropdown menu and select the term and course. Click on the icon next to the magnifying glass of the people to see the class list.

What do I do if I have to cancel a class?

If you need to cancel class, you should notify your students via email. All student emails are located on your class list in the Faculty and Advising Center. If it is a last-minute cancellation, you may also notify your administrative specialist and ask to have someone post a sign on the classroom door.

Classroom/Office Supply Logistics

How do I get materials for my office or class?

Each department has a supply closet. Faculty members should contact their administrative specialist for access. Certain requests may need to be purchased in Bobcat Buy, which requires approval by the department chair. Special orders should be placed no later than one month prior to the time it is needed.

General office supplies are provided to you. Anything beyond this you should send an email inquiry to your department Administrative Specialist for guidance on these policies.

Where should I keep my supplies?

Faculty should store their supplies in their own office. Some specific classes have designated closets, but those supplies are for specific materials associated with specific courses and should not be used for personal supplies.

How do I make copies?

Contact PCOE Shared Services for instructions on how to make copies.

What is Live Text?

Live Text is the PCOE’s data management system for all accreditation related data. Contact The Patton College Director of Assessment and Academic Improvement, Zac Schabel  to receive information on setting up your account.

Who do I contact with questions about LiveText?

[UPDATE] can assist in answering LiveText questions that pertain specifically to edTPA. If there are questions about how to get your course listed, and how the students obtain access to LiveText, those questions should be directed to Wendy Adams.

Faculty and students can also view video tutorials by logging into their account and clicking on the ‘Help’ tab or by contacting

Do I have to use Blackboard?

Blackboard is a learning management system for online storage and presentation of courses and materials. It is not required that you use Blackboard, however, unless you are using LiveText it is recommended that you have students turn in assignments through Blackboard, and that you do your grading in the grade center for easier record-keeping and management.

Online programs in The Patton College all use Blackboard for instruction. Each course within a given program is designed for cohesion and uniformity; therefore, faculty must use Blackboard and conform to the program’s instructional delivery format.

Who do I contact with questions about Blackboard?

For in-house assistance with Blackboard, staff in the CTOP can help answer questions, troubleshoot, design, and prepare courses in Blackboard. The CTOP Staff also offer semester Blackboard workshops, as well as one-on-one sessions. Please contact Beth Backes to inquire about the above options.

You may also call OIT Help Desk after hours for immediate Blackboard assistance. They can be reached at 740.593.1222.

What is the Master Curriculum File?

The Ohio University Master Curriculum File (MCF) is maintained by the University registrar and includes every approved course in the university (these approved courses have gone through the University Curriculum Council (UCC)).
Each course description listed in the MCF is what should appear exactly (verbatim) on the course syllabus. Changes in any component of a course listed on the MCF must go through UCC.

What is OCEAN?

OCEAN (OHIO Curriculum Enhancement and Approval Network) is the university system for submission, review, and approval of all courses and programs in the University Curriculum Council process.

What is the UCC approval process?

The University Curriculum Council (UCC) is the final recommending voice in all curricular matters.

UCC has several subcommittees:
• Individual Course Committee (ICC) reviews and approves all new course and course changes. • Programs Committee (PC) reviews any new programs or substantive program changes.

Review process:

  • In OCEAN, faculty person initiates a new course/program or requests a change to a

    course/program and completes the necessary documentation.

  • After submission, the document goes to the Department Chair for review/approval.

  • After approval, the document goes to the Patton College Undergraduate or Graduate Committee.

  • After approval, the document goes to the Patton College Dean’s Office.

  • After approval, the document goes to either ICC or PC.

  • After approval from ICC- the course is presented to UCC for one reading. After approval from

PC- the program is presented to UCC for two readings.

Program Review Committee oversees the university academic program review of all units across the university.

How will be course be evaluated?

All Patton College course evaluations are done electronically. Near the end of the semester you will receive notification and an email will be sent to students asking them to complete an evaluation of your course(s). You will be asked to remind students to complete their evaluation. Course evaluation data is sent to you following the term.

Building, Suite and Office Access

Who do I see to get a key to my office?

Building keys are distributed by Bre Demko ( in the Dean’s Office suite.

How do I get into the building and my department suite outside of normal business hours?

Once you have picked up your Ohio University Faculty/Staff ID card from the Bobcat Depot send a request including your OU PID# to Helen Watson (

If you accidently lock yourself out during nonbusiness hours you will need to contact your department chair or another individual within your department to be let back in.

Ohio University Police and Facilities Staff are NOT permitted to unlock for us therefore please do not attempt to contact them with such requests.

All Athens campus graduate students in The Patton College are granted access to the building via use of their student ID. This is managed by the Dean’s executive assistant.

Technology FAQ

Who should I contact if I have a computer issue?

The Patton College OIT department asks you to email with your computer issue and they will respond and open a “help ticket” to address the issue. If it is something that needs immediate attention between 8 am and 8 pm Monday through Friday, then start by calling Don Weekley (740.593.4450) or send him a Teams Chat Message and follow the list below:

Center for Technology and Online Programs Front Desk: 740.593.4451
• Faculty Equipment rentals or computer lab reservations

Don Weekley: 740.593.4450
• Computer, technology, equipment, and classroom tech support.

Lisa S. Dael: 740.593.9925
• Online programs coordination (inquiries, application & registration), and course evaluations.

Tasha Attaway:
Social media postings and graduate recruitment

What resources are available to me in the Center for Technology and Online Programs (CTOP)?

  • Rental Equipment
  • Projectors
  • Video and digital cameras
  • Digital voice recorders
  • PowerPoint clickers
  • Camera tripods
  • Laptops & iPads (Faculty ONLY)
  • Webcams and omnidirectional microphones Computer Lab, Laptop & iPad cart for classes
  • Web conferencing assistance (webcam setup) for Skpye, Adobe Connect, conference calls, etc. Technology workshops and training
  • Blackboard
  • Qualtrics
  • Social media
  • Educational Apps 
  • Online course preparation and consultations
  • Reserving the Computer Lab

How do I access shared drives, manuals, etc.?

You can view a PDF with instructions for this on the “ ” on our website.

Do I need to use Outlook for the calendar? How does it sync to my phone?

Ohio University and The Patton College regularly use Outlook calendar to send meeting invitations. It is strongly encouraged that you keep your schedule up to date. The Ohio University Bobcat Depot can assist you in syncing your emails/calendar/memos to your smartphone.

How do I create meetings? How do I see others’ schedules?

To see someone else’s calendar, click "Open Calendar" and find the person or room in the directory whose calendar you wish to view. (NOTE: it will only show boxes of time marked as "Busy”. It will not show you their meeting details unless you have been given permission to do so.)

What is “Clutter” in my email?

The "CLUTTER" folder is for email that the server has determined that, though legitimate, is of little or no 

value to you based on your email reading habits. Think of this as someone sorting out the magazines and newsletters that you only read once in a while or not at all anymore and have not yet unsubscribed from them or just keep getting them anyway even though you are no longer interested in them. If you want to start or would rather see something from the "CLUTTER" folder, simply move it to your "INBOX" and the server will learn that you actually want to see/read this particular type of email more often.

Something to keep in mind is to check both of these folders once in a while in case something you want is misfiled. They do help keep your inbox cleaner, but they are not perfect.

Purchasing, Budget, Concur FAQ

Do I need a P-Card?

Yes, if you plan on doing any traveling or purchasing things for OU business. Only tenure-track and instructional faculty are eligible for a P-card. Special circumstances should be discussed with your department chair.

How do I obtain a P-Card? What if I lose my P-card?

There is an application online that you fill out and submit to your department chair – you can go to the Finance website or seek assistance from Shared Services.

What am I allowed to purchase using a P-Card?

An explanation of all allowable purchases as well as the necessary documentation can be found by clicking on the Buying Guidelines link from the OHIO P-Card Services.

You may not ship anything purchased with any Ohio University funds (including RI, Start-up, Professional Development, Foundation and Grants) to a personal (or home) address. Everything shipped, must be shipped to an Ohio University address.

You may not purchase supplies for personally owned equipment. The Ohio ethical interpretation for this regulation is that there is no way to ensure that everything purchased for such equipment is totally used for Ohio 

University business. For example, copy paper and printer ink in your home can be used for things other than OU business.

You may not purchase gas for your personal vehicle with OU funds. Even though you may be on a business trip at the time, you can reimburse mileage, but you cannot purchase a tank of gas. This does not include rental vehicles. It is only regarding your personal vehicle.

Do I need training to use a P-Card?

Following the obtainment of P-card, people must enter their financial transactions into Concur. Specific training on Concur is available through Human Resources. It is important to note that all faculty, staff, and administrators are responsible for timely submissions of Concur reports.

The PCOE Shared Services Unit will be able to provide direction on signing up for the next Concur training session.

OHIO employees, with the exception of students have access to Concur regardless of whether they have a P- card. This is because personal reimbursements must be processed through Concur.

I need help with Concur.

See PCOE Shared Services for instructions on how to sign up for Concur training.

Research Funds Through PCOE and Ohio University Graduate College

PCOE offers two cycle of research funding ($2,500). Deadlines are November 1 and April 1.

  • Fall Cycle Application:
  • Spring Cycle Application: 

The Graduate College also offers several pools of funds for PCOE faculty to pursue research funding. For example, OU Research Council Funds, OU Baker Funds, and 1804 Funds. More details at the link below.