Master's in Higher Education Online
Program Code: ME6276
The Online Master’s in Higher Education program is 100% designed for individuals who wish to advance their knowledge and skills while working within higher education settings. It is also a perfect fit for those who wish to transition into a career in higher education administration because it is designed for working professionals.
The program provides participants with a broad knowledge of the history, purposes, and contexts of higher education; leadership; organizational dynamics; the learning environment; and research concepts and methods. It is our intention to help our students:
- Receive and understand expert knowledge about American Higher Education, including
- History, purposes, and contexts of Higher Education
- Higher Education management and leadership
- Organizational perspectives
- Teaching and learning
- Research concepts and methods
- Translate knowledge into excellent practice
- Promote the development of opportunity and diversity throughout Higher Education
Curriculum and Requirements
The master's degree program in Higher Education provides basic knowledge about Higher Education and responds to a broad range of individual needs. Elective courses complement the student's program of study to correspond with the student's background and career aspirations. Candidates for the Master's of Higher Education program must complete 30 credit hours. Below is an example of the curriculum for the master's degree program in Higher Education
|Fall||EDCP 5220 Campus Environments||3|
|Fall||EDRE 5010 Introduction to Educational Research Methods||3|
EDHE 6880 Higher Education and Student Affairs in the United States
|Spring||EDHE 7790 Finance and Budgeting in Higher Education||3|
|Summer||EDHE 7210 Diversity in American Higher Education||3|
|Summer||EDHE 7850 Organization and Governance of Higher Education||3|
|Fall||EDHE 7860 Leadership and Change Management in Higher Education||3|
|Fall||EDHE 7880 Policy Perspectives in Higher Education||3|
|Spring||EDHE 6940 Capstone Project in Higher Education and Student Affairs||3|
|Spring||EDHE 5885 Historical and Contemporary Issues in Higher Education||3|
Tuition and Fees
Please check the Bursar's website for the latest information.
Application and Admission Information
The Master's in Higher Education online cohort program operates every two years. The current cohort started in Fall 2021 and we are welcoming new students to join the current cohort starting in January 2022. Ohio University employees interested in starting this spring semester must apply by November 15, 2021 and the application deadline for all others is December 1, 2021. The next cohort application cycle will begin in Fall 2022.
Requirements for application are:
- Completed OHIO Graduate Application and nonrefundable application fee of $50
- Graduate Record Examination is NOT required.
- Submission of official transcripts from bachelor's degree work and any institution from which graduate coursework was attempted, regardless of whether or not a degree has been or is being completed.
- Autobiographical Sketch/Personal Statement (2-3 pages, double-spaced)
The autobiographical sketch provides a sample of your writing. It should tell us about you as an applicant and address important factors in your life journey that have shaped your interest in Higher Education and brought you to apply to this program.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- A current resume or curriculum vita.
For further information, contact:
Higher Education and Student Affairs
McCracken Hall 432