Advanced Teacher Capacity offers professional development in mathematics, statistics, and modeling for mathematics teachers in Grades 9-12 to prepare them for four years of high school mathematics for all students. This initiative has been supported by grants from the Improving Teacher Quality Program administered by the Ohio Department of Higher Education.
ATC Summer Institutes
Historically, the ATC program has offered QUANT and Modspar professional development institutes during the summer. During summer 2016, the QUANT program will not be offered at Ohio University. However, two in-depth Modspar (Modeling and Spatial Reasoning) programs are offered at Ohio University:
- Modeling with Algebra Institute on 19-24 June and 1-2 August 2016
- Modeling with Geometry Institute on10-15 July and 1-2 August 2016
ATC Online Webinars
are open to all past, present, and future ATC scholars. The webinar room will open at 7:40 p.m. Please sign in early as a guest to test your equipment so that we may begin the webinar promptly at 8:00 p.m. To participate, go to https://adobeconnect.oit.ohio.edu/foley/ .
Tentative Webinar Dates and Topics:
- 17 August 2016. Assessment & Grading of Modeling
- 7 September 2016. Linear Differences
- 21 September 2016. Proof in Terms of Student-centered Learning & Assessment of Student Understanding
- 5 October 2016. Taxicab Geometry
- 19 October 2016. Assessment, Part II
- 2 November 2016. TBA
- 7 December 2016. Spherical Geometry
- 18 January 2017. TBA
- 1 February 2017. TBA
- 15 February 2017. TBA
- 1 March 2017. TBA
- 15 March 2017. TBA
- 5 April 2017. TBA
- 19 April 2017. TBA
To view archived ATC webinars click here.
Here's what past ATC scholars have said:
"I enjoyed becoming more comfortable with the technology."
"The institutes were content-rich."
- "Absolutely excellent."
- "The BEST professional development available to high school (mathematics) teachers. The BEST model with follow-up."
- "[Now]...I help my students to be critical thinkers by asking questions that are of high cognitive demand. I also engage my students in team work and collaborative activities to help them develop their communicating skills. In addition, I incorporate technology in my teaching so students can have multiple representations of ...concepts."
For more information about ATC, contact Mary Harmison.
The total estimated costs for the 2016-2017 Modspar project are $313,978, which includes a $175,598 grant of federal funds from the Improving Teacher Quality Program administered by the Ohio Department of Higher Education, covering approximately 56% of the total costs.