Advanced Teacher Capacity offers professional development in mathematics, statistics, and modeling for mathematics teachers in Grades 9-12 to prepare them for four years of high school mathematics for all students. This initiative is supported by a grant from the Improving Teacher Quality Program administered by the Ohio Department of Higher Education.
The ATC program offered two summer professional development institutes in summer 2015: QUANT and Modspar. The QUANT program will not be offered at Ohio University during summer 2016. However, two in-depth Modspar (Modeling and Spatial Reasoning) programs will be offered at Ohio University in Summer 2016:
- Modeling with Algebra Institute on 19-24 June and 1-2 August 2016
- Modeling with Geometry Institute on10-15 July and 1-2 August 2016
Here's what past ATC scholars have said:
"I enjoyed becoming more comfortable with the technology."
"The institutes were content-rich."
- "Absolutely excellent."
- "The BEST professional development available to high school (mathematics) teachers. The BEST model with follow-up."
- "[Now]...I help my students to be critical thinkers by asking questions that are of high cognitive demand. I also engage my students in team work and collaborative activities to help them develop their communicating skills. In addition, I incorporate technology in my teaching so students can have multiple representations of ...concepts."
For more information about ATC, contact Mary Harmison.
ATC Online Webinars
are open to all past, present, and future ATC scholars. The webinar room will open at 7:40 p.m. Please sign in early as a guest to test your equipment so that we may begin the webinar promptly at 8:00 p.m. To participate, go to https://adobeconnect.oit.ohio.edu/foley/ .
- 20 January. Modspar: Geometry Transformations & Reflections
- 3 February. QUANT: Binomial Data Collection
- 17 February. Modspar: Geometry Transformations & Reflections continued
- 2 March. QUANT: Pop Top Prize Probability
- 16 March. Modspar: Algebra Modeling Part I
- 6 April. QUANT: Chi Square Test
- 20 April. Modspar: Algebra Modeling Part II
To view archived ATC webinars click here.
The total estimated costs for the 2015-2016 ATC project are $325,906, which includes a $184,829 grant of federal funds from the Improving Teacher Quality Program administered by the Ohio Department of Higher Education, covering approximately 56.7% of the total costs. The total estimated costs for the 2016-2017 Modspar project are $313,978, which includes a $175,598 grant of federal funds from the Improving Teacher Quality Program administered by the Ohio Department of Higher Education, covering approximately 55.9% of the total costs.