Morrison-Gordon Elementary is an Early Childhood Education Professional Development School in the Athens City School District located at 793 West Union Street, Athens, Ohio. This school serves over 400 students ranging in age from kindergarten through sixth grade. In addition to offering inclusive classroom experiences, Morrison-Gordon also provides services to students with a wide variety of educational needs including multi-handicapped services, learning disability adaptive resources, and enrichment opportunities for accelerated learners.
The experienced staff at Morrison-Gordon Elementary is committed to the success of all learners. Since literacy skills are significant to the foundation of academic success, Morrison-Gordon Elementary recognizes the need for early intervention in the area of language and literacy.
Building classroom community, fostering self-esteem, and promoting a positive learning environment are also part of Morrison-Gordon’s pedagogy. The Responsive Classroom Approach is practiced in the K-3 classrooms, creating an atmosphere that encourages both academic and social growth. Therefore, as part of their PDS Partnership experience, candidates have the opportunity to:
- Work with Fountas and Pinnell’s Leveled Literacy Intervention Program (LLI), conducting small group reading/writing interventions to those students struggling with early literacy concepts,
- Conduct and analyze a variety of reading assessments in order to gather data for use by classroom teachers,
- Observe, and be mentored by, experienced teachers utilizing Responsive Classroom philosophies,
- Experience assisting with, and creating, a variety of classroom activities/lessons at differing grade levels (K-3),
- Connect theory learned in OHIO methods classes to a clinical setting.
For more information, please contact:
OU Partnership Faculty Coordinator
The Gladys W. and David H. Patton College of Education
Athens, OH 45701
OU Partnership Teacher Liaison, Third Grade Teacher
Morrison-Gordon Elementary School
Athens, OH 45701