Patton College of Education Graduate Assistantships
Policy for Awarding Associateships (With Tuition Scholarships) To Graduate Students
Applications for associateships will be accepted from prospective graduate students who are applying for admission to a program in the Department of Educational Studies OR graduate students currently enrolled in such a program. A student who has already received two years of support as a graduate associate in the Department of Educational Studies is ineligible to apply for additional support.
In selecting graduate associates the Department will show preference for: (1) students whose skills match needs for particular sorts of work within the Department, (2) doctoral students, and (3) students with excellent records of academic performance.
Applications are due on or before March 15 of the year prior to the one for which support is being sought.
Counselor education students may apply for a Graduate Appointment (GA) in the Department of Counseling and Higher Education.
GA Application Process
The application process for master’s degree study in College Student Personnel requires the following:
- Review the list of available graduate assistantships posted on ohiouniversityjobs.com. Click on the STUDENT JOBS link to see currently available assistantships for your application year.
- Apply to up to seven (7) available graduate assistantships. The faculty strongly encourage students to apply to a minimum of five (5) available positions.
- Students will be notified about the status of their graduate assistantship applications in early January. At that time, students will be extended offers to interview for positions they may have applied.
- Initial offers for Graduate Assistantship positions will be extended by early March annually.
- Read through our 2022-23 CSP Assistantship Information Packet for more details about our program and process from this past academic year.
Example Interview Weekend Day(s) Schedule
Monday – Thursday (early February)
Virtual Interviews for Graduate Assistantships (Scheduled by Unit Supervisors)
Friday (end of February)
Evening Welcome Event @ 5:00pm
Sponsored by The Division of Student Affairs and collaborating graduate assistant supervisor units
Evening Welcome Event @ 6:30pm
Sponsored by Student Personnel Association (graduate student organization)
Saturday (end of February)
Welcome Breakfast with Higher Education & Student Affairs Faculty
8:00am – 10:00am
Graduate Assistantship Interviews (30 minutes each)
11:00am – 5:00pm
Box Lunches Provided (offered during breaks in interviews)
11:00am – 1:00pm
The mission of the Department of Recreation and Sport Pedagogy (RSP) is to improve wellbeing and happiness through inclusive recreation and leisure, physical education, and physical activity and sport coaching. This mission is achieved through high-quality education, scholarship, and service to the university, community and related professions.
The Department of Recreation and Sport Pedagogy at Ohio University is seeking qualified candidates to fill graduate assistantship opportunities within the Physical Activity & Wellness (PAW) Program and the Parks, Recreation and Leisure Studies (PRLS) Program. These positions are open to students while pursuing a Master of Science degree in one of two program areas. Those program areas include the Coaching Education and Parks, Recreation & Leisure Studies Graduate Programs.
Students pursuing a graduate degree in either Coaching Education or Parks, Recreation, and Leisure Studies can apply for graduate teaching assistantships (GTA). More information on each of these positions, detailed qualifications, and application requirements can be found on the Recreation & Sports Pedagogy Graduate Assistantships page.
Applications received by February 1st receive priority and are reviewed following admissions decisions.
Teacher Education Graduate Assistantships
The Department of Teacher Education offers a limited number of competitive Graduate Assistantships (GAs) and Graduate Recruitment Scholarships (GRSs) and often has grant-funded GAs available. See Teacher Education Graduate Assistantship for additional information.
Below is a list of offices that frequently offer graduate assistantships. For more information on currently available assistantships, please refer to the Graduate assistantship positions.
- Academic Advancement Center
- Allen Student Advising Center
- Baker University Center
- Career and Leadership Development Center
- Campus Involvement Center
- Center for Higher Education, The Patton College of Education
- Community Standards and Student Responsibility
- Dean of Students Office
- Office of Global Opportunities
- Events Services
- International Student and Faculty Services
- LGBT Center
- Learning Community Programs
- Multicultural Programs
- Office for Multicultural Student Access and Retention
- Housing and Residence Life
- Vice President of Student Affairs