Admissions - Physical Education
All students interested in physical education will enter Ohio University into a pre-major code of ND8106 (Pre-Physical Education). To be admitted into the major, a student must apply to and be accepted after successful completion of nine courses, and maintain an accumulative G.P.A. of 2.75 or higher.
Admission process and criteria are:
- Complete the following courses with a grade of “C” or better in each course:
- BIOL 101 Principle of Biology OR BIOL 103 Human Biology
- PSY 101 General Psychology
- MATH 109 Consumer Mathematics
- INCO 103 Fundamentals of Public Speaking
- ENG 151 Writing and Rhetoric
- HLTH 202 Intro to Health and Life Choices
- PESS 126 Skill and Fitness Development in PE
- PESS 202 Intro to Teaching Physical Education
- PESS 227 First Aid: Work Place Training
- Achieve and maintain an overall G.P.A. of 2.75 or higher
Upon successful completion of the above requirements, you must seek admission to the major. The Physical Education program application is available from your advisor or the Physical Education Program Coordinator. The completed application form and a current DARS report must be submitted by the end of the second week of the quarter following completion of the admission requirements.
Once admitted to the major, you must meet the criteria for selective admission to and retention in teacher education established by The Gladys W. and David H. Patton College of Education, including a g.p.a. of 2.75 in your major, in required professional education courses and overall. To graduate and receive your teaching license in physical education, you must complete all The Gladys W. and David H. Patton College of Education requirements. Upon completion of the program and passing the Praxis II exam, you are eligible for a provisional teaching license in physical education. You will be granted a Bachelor of Science in Physical Education upon official application for degree conferral and successful completion of all requirements.