- Academic Programs
- Office of the Dean
- Office of Student Affairs
- Office of Clinical Experiences
- Office of Assessment and Academic Improvement
- Office of Communication & Design
- Centers and Partnerships
- Faculty and Staff
- Alumni and Development
- News and Events
4th-5th Grade Early Childhood Endorsement
The addition of the Early Childhood Generalist Endorsement to an Early Childhood licensure (age 3 to grade 3) provides school districts with greater staffing flexibility, Early Childhood teachers with additional teaching options, and facilitates the mobility of teachers into Ohio from other states.
The program includes four courses totaling 10 semester hours of graduate-level credit. We do not accept any transfer credits. When you enroll, you must complete all 4 courses within the endorsement program at Ohio University. All courses are completely online, and they are broken into 7 week sessions. Students will take the first two courses the first seven weeks of the semester and the remaining two courses the second half of the semester as follows:
- EDEL 5150 Teaching Reading and Language Arts to Fourth and Fifth Graders (4 credit hours)
- EDEL 5560 Teaching Social Studies to Fourth and Fifth Graders (2 credit hours)
- EDEL 5370 Teaching Mathematics to Fourth and Fifth Graders (2 credit hours)
- EDEL 5480 Teaching Science to Fourth and Fifth Graders (2 credit hours)
Only currently licensed teachers or undergraduates who graduate in spring and are expecting to receive licensure over the summer are eligible for this program. Because courses are offered at the graduate level, they may be used to renew your teaching license. Unfortunately, this endorsement is not part of the senior to graduate students program. You must have at least a 2.9 Undergraduate GPA to be accepted. In order to be recommended for the Endorsement, you must also complete all courses with a 2.75 cumulative GPA and pass the Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) Elementary Education Exam with a score 220 on each section.
TUITION & financial aid
The endorsement courses are $349/credit hour for Ohio Residents and $352/credit hour for Non-Ohio Residents (Office of the Bursar 2015-2016 Tuition Schedule see Off Campus Graduate Programs). Ohio University Faculty and Staff should contact us before registering. As a non-degree graduate student working toward teacher certification, financial aid for independent students is limited to undergraduate Direct Loans that require a minimum of six credit hours. Students who have reached the maximum aggregate loan borrowing limit in the Direct Loan Program ($57,500 as Independent, $34,500 as Dependent) may seek a private alternative loan as a resource. For further questions about the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and other aid programs, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our next cohort is scheduled to begin in May 2016 during our Summer term. Applications will be available in February 2016. A Program Overview is also available in pdf format. For additional questions, please e-mail us: email@example.com.
- Online & Blended Programs Overview
- 4th & 5th Grade Early Childhood Endorsement
- Reading Endorsement
- Mentor Quality Matters
- Professional Instructional Design Certificate
- Master's in Curriculum and Instruction
- Master's in Coaching Education
- Master's in Reading Education
- Master's in Recreation and Sport Sciences - Soccer Track
- Principal Preparation Program
- Superintendent License Program
- Teacher Leader Endorsement