Counselor Education Courses
The Counselor Education program offers two study abroad opportunities during the summer. Within these programs, you will be fully-immersed in cultural and practical learning experiences that will enhance your understanding of global issues and counseling. Read more about these two programs below.
CULTURAL VIEW OF ITALY IN TUSCANY, ITALY
SUMMER: MAY 4-16, 2017
This 10-day cultural institute brings together undergraduates, graduates, counselors, counselor educators, and other higher education staff and professionals for an immersive experience that will increase participants’ global competencies vital to their profession. Open to all majors as the course will meet the requirements for many cross cultural courses at the undergraduate and graduate level.
- With a focus on counseling and higher education within the country of Italy, the program provides participants with introductory and advanced instruction in counseling and an understanding of the role culture plays in counseling and higher education.
- Counselor educators, Higher Education educators, Licensed Counselors (master’s level or doctoral), and Higher Education (master’s practitioners or doctoral students) who wish to make an international presentation on cultural issues at the Italy Institute are asked to submit a brief proposal outline detailing the topic to Dr. Mona Robinson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application deadline for this program is November 1, 2016. For more information, click HERE.
SOUTH AFRICA: HIV/AIDS EDUCATION IN AFRICA
SUMMER: NOT OFFERED IN 2017
Dr. Yegan Pillay (email@example.com)
Spend 4 summer weeks with a South African Ohio University counselor education professor at the world famous Nelson Mandela University in picturesque South Africa.
- Immerse yourself and work with interdisciplinary teams with individuals infected or affected by HIV/AIDS.
- Learn through service and earn up to 9 graduate counselor education credit hours to apply to your degree.
- Learn about post-apartheid South Africa through cultural excursions, service learning opportunities, and immersion in the community.
- Visit historic sites and explore the natural beauty of the South Africa, including the Addo Elephant Park, Robben Island, the jail where Nelson Mandela spent most of his life.
Contact Dr. Yegan Pillay firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss this transformative educational experience.
This program is not offered for 2016-2017 academic year. For more information, click HERE.
EDCE 6200 Foundations of Counseling*
EDCE 6220 Career Development*
EDCE 6240 Professional School Counseling (SC)
EDCE 6260 Medical and Psychosocial Issues in Rehabilitation Counseling (CMH/CLRC)
EDCE 6290 Job Placement Theory and Techniques (CMH/CLRC)
EDCE 6310 Appraisal I*
EDCE 6450 Counseling over the Lifespan*
EDCE 6500 Group Counseling I*
EDCE 6550 Counseling Theory and Techniques*
EDCE 6620 Diagnosis and Treatment Planning in Counseling*
EDCE 6750 Psychopathology for Counselors (CMHC, CMH/CLRC)
EDCE 6810 Seminar in Counseling*
EDCE 6860 Multicultural Counseling*
EDCE 6915 Counseling Internship*
EDCE 6920 Counseling Practicum*
EDCE 7245 Counseling Children and Adolescents (SC)
EDCE 7320 Personality Assessment (CMHC, CMH/CLRC)
EDCE 7330 Counseling Assessment of Children and Adolescents (SC)
EDCE 7620 Legal and Ethical Aspects of Counseling*
An asterisk (*) indicates required core courses for all M.Ed. students
CMHC= Required for Clinical Mental Health Counseling specialization
SC=Required for School Counseling specialization
CMH/CLRC= Required for Clinical Mental Health/Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling specialization
EDCE 8200 Advanced Seminar for Counselor Education and Supervision
EDCE 8240 Counselor Education Professional Publications
EDCE 8520 Advanced Group Counseling
EDCE 8550 Counseling Theory Advanced
EDCE 8590 Counselor Supervision
EDCE 8600 Counselor Education
EDCE 8640 Mental Health Consultation
EDCE 8910 Internship
EDCE 8920 Practicum in Counselor Education and Supervision
EDCE 8930 Advanced Readings and Research in Counseling
EDCE 8950 Dissertation
EDCE 8990 Leadership in Counseling
EDCE 6900/8900 Special Topics in Counselor Education (Topics will vary)
EDCE 6910 Field Experience in Counseling
EDCE 6930 Readings and Research in Counseling
EDCE 7241 Introduction to Play Therapy
EDCE 7390 Family Counseling
EDCE 7600 Addictions Counseling Theory and Practice
EDCE 7703 Cognitive Therapy
EDCE 7704 Counseling the Terminally Ill and HIV/AIDS Clients
EDCE 7705 Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy
EDCE 7720 Psychiatric Rehabilitation
EDCE 7730 Gender Issues in Counseling
NOTE: Research design and methods courses for Master's and Doctoral students are completed in the Department of Education Studies.