Admissions - Counselor Education
Graduate Application Process: Admissions Criteria
Approximately 30-40 M.Ed. students and 8-14 Ph.D. students are admitted each year by the Counselor Education Program. Academic credentials, experience, compatibility of personal characteristics and professional goals with advanced study in the field of counseling and counselor education are all taken into consideration in the evaluation process.
The master’s program in Counselor Education admits degree-seeking students during summer and fall quarters only. The deadline and date on which we begin reviewing applications for admission is February 15 of the year preceding the summer or fall quarter you wish to enter. Applications for financial aid from the department will also be reviewed at that time and awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.
Applications for the M.Ed. Program must include:
- Transcripts showing a bachelor's degree (Graduate Record Exam scores are required when grade point average is below 2.90)
- Three written letters of recommendation
- A five-page autobiography
The doctoral program in Counselor Education & Supervision admits students for summer and fall quarter only. The deadline and date on which we begin reviewing applications for admission is February 15 of the year preceding the fall quarter you wish to enter. Applications for financial aid will also be reviewed at that time and awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.
For more information on applying to the Master's in Counseling program click HERE.
Applications for the Ph.D. Program must include:
Transcripts showing a bachelor's degree in any field and a Master's Degree in Counseling or an acceptable equivalent;
- Transcripts showing a bachelor's degree in any field, and a Master's Degree in Counseling (or an acceptable equivalent)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Graduate Record Exam Test scores
- A ten-page autobiography
- An interview with a faculty selection committee (required before final admission decisions are made)
For more information on applying to the Doctoral program in Counselor Education and Supervision click HERE.
Application forms for graduate programs at Ohio University may be obtained from the Ohio University Graduate College.