Post-Secondary Enrollment Option (PSEO) Students
The Post Secondary Enrollment Options program is going through some significant changes for the 2015-2016 school year. The new program will be called College Credit Plus and will have different admissions criteria and deadlines.
The State of Ohio, under Senate Bill 140 and House Bill 215, enables high schools and institutions of higher learning to cooperate in offering high school students the opportunity to enroll in college level coursework prior to graduation from high school. The purpose of the program is to provide supplemental educational opportunities to intellectually and socially mature students.
Submit the completed PSEOP Application no later than May 1 of the academic year in which you wish to participate. Eligible students may contact their school counselor for an application.
- Enclose the $20 nonrefundable application-processing fee with the application.
- Have your high school transcript, along with your ACT/SAT scores, sent directly from your school.
- Have official transcripts of coursework completed at any other college sent to Ohio University Eastern Campus.
- Submit verification of completion of the Ohio Graduation Test.
If you are eligible to participate in the program, we will notify you by mail, with additional information about the COMPASS placement test if needed.
Students may enroll under one of the following options:
- Option A: You receive college credit but no high school credit for the course(s) in which you enroll, unless your high school makes special provisions for you. Under this option, you pay for textbooks, tuition, and other fees, and may enroll for any fall, spring or summer term.
- Option B: You receive college credit for the course(s) in which you enroll as well as credit toward fulfilling high school graduation requirements. Under this option, the Ohio Department of Education will pay for your tuition and textbook charges, but enrollment is restricted to the fall and spring terms only. You may register for courses in the summer only if you pay for tuition, textbooks, and other fees. Summer courses may not apply toward your high school graduation requirements. However, if you register for any courses requiring special fees or supplies, such as certain art, chemistry, and physical education courses, you must pay the fees associated with those courses and furnish your own supplies.
Carefully develop your plan, including selecting the option and courses you hope to take, with your high school officials before registering.
Ohio University has established the following criteria for admission to this program:
- If your school ranks, you must rank in the top 25% (Option B) or the top 40% (Option A) of your school class based on your overall record. If your school does not rank students, you must have an accumulative grade point average of a 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 unweighted scale (Option B) or a 3.2 (Option A). If you have shown marked improvement during the most recently completed two semesters or if you are a student with special abilities, you may be admitted upon recommendation from the appropriate high school official and with the approval of the Director of Admissions or Student Services on your campus and the University college dean (Athens) or regional campus dean.
- You must be pursuing a college preparatory curriculum (or another curriculum suitable for college), which consists of four years of English, three years of math, three years of social sciences, three years of natural sciences, two years of foreign language and one year of visual or performing arts.
- Students must complete a minimum of 10 Carnegie Units to participate in Post-Secondary.
- You must have passed all sections of the Ohio Graduation Test (OGT).
- You must commute from your parents’ or guardians’ home.
- You must reside in Belmont, Harrison, Jefferson, Monroe counties.
- You must attend a mandatory orientation/counseling program at your high school prior to applying.
Please feel free to call Diann Nickerson at 740-699-2517 with any questions.
Ohio University Eastern Campus
45425 National Road
St. Clairsville, OH 43950 (740) 699-2536