Bachelor of Specialized Studies
The Bachelor of Specialized Studies is a multi-disciplinary degree program designed by an individual student. Although Ohio University offers a wide array of majors and degree programs, some students find that their interests, talents, backgrounds, and goals cannot be addressed by existing programs. The Bachelor of Specialized Studies program provides the means by which a student may, with help from an academic advisor and consultation with faculty, design his or her degree program.
The Specialized Studies program may be appropriate for students
- who want to combine course offerings in different academic departments to create a unique field of study not currently available in established degree programs.
- whose intellectual interests are not realized through an existing degree program.
- who want to explore areas of study across several colleges.
- who wish to pursue study for a specific career, but in a non-traditional manner.
- who have previously completed an associate's degree and wish to earn a baccalaureate degree that is a reasonable fit with their earlier academic work.
Opportunities Upon Graduation
The professional skills developed in this program vary widely according to the student's individual academic plan. Specialized Studies students at the Eastern Campus are encouraged to earn practical experience while enrolled at Ohio University through the Specialized Studies internship program. One (1) university credit hour can be earned for every forty (40) hours worked. Credit may be awarded for up to fifteen (15) credit hours.
Important Information for Students
Admission is based on application. Each application has two parts: a statement of rationale and a proposed program of study, equivalent to a major. You attain admission to the BSS program by approval of your application by the BSS Review Committee.
To be eligible to apply, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be currently enrolled with regular student status;
- Have earned sophomore rank
- Have at least a 2.0 accumulative grade point average;
- Have all transfer credits equated to corresponding Ohio University courses.
Specialized Studies students will create an Area of Concentration with the assistance of an academic advisor and faculty resource advisors. This Area of Concentration (AOC) will replace the traditional major requirements. While there are few limits to what can be included in an area of concentration, students wishing to complete their Specialized Studies degree at the Eastern Campus often combine courses from the following departments to create their AOC:
- applied management
- communication studies
- exercise physiology
- political science
- social work
To complete this program, students must meet all University-wide graduation requirements.
In addition, Specialized Studies majors must take all courses that have been listed in the individually developed Area of Concentration, and meet residency requirements and upper-level hour requirements specific to the Specialized Studies program.
Anticipated Schedule @ OUE (subject to change):