Student Information on Withdrawal For Medical Reasons
Students experiencing significant medical concerns may be able to withdrawal for medical reasons from their entire course load. The individual student initiates this process by contacting the office of the academic dean of their college. This withdrawal must be obtained by the day prior to the last day of classes of any given semester.
Your college might ask that you provide professional verification of your condition. If you worked with a medical provider, inquire about their ability to provide the appropriate documentation.
Withdrawal for medical reasons will result in a “medical hold” on your student account. You will receive grades of WP or WF for all of your classes, but your overall GPA will not be affected.
Please note that while the "medical hold" is in effect you will not be able to register. We hope you will be able to return to your studies at Ohio University which you can do after medical clearance has been granted by a health care professional treating your condition. If you decide to apply for re-enrollment to Ohio University, you must complete the following four steps:
1. Write to the Office of the Dean of Students concerning your intentions to re-enrollment at least one month prior to the first day of classes for the semester you wish to attend.
2. Have the provider in charge of your treatment forward to the Office of the Dean of Students a completed Readiness to Return Form and required written assessment. You may obtain a Readiness to Return Form by calling the Dean of Students Office at 740.593.1800, or see below to download this form.
3. Sign a form authorizing the release of information to the Office of the Dean of Students so that the staff can speak to your provider. The purpose of this sharing of information is to establish that you have resolved the difficulties that caused you to medically withdraw from the university and that you are now prepared to successfully manage the challenges and stressors of returning to college life. You may obtain the release of information from your practitioner, by calling the Office of the Dean of Students at 740.593.1800, or see below to download this release of information form.
4. Please call the Office of the Dean of Students to verify that the Readiness to Return Form and Release of Information Form have been received and answer any remaining questions. Please realize that a final conversation with the Office of the Dean of Students is usually required prior to any final decision to lift a medical hold prior to re-enrollment, and that the University retains the right to grant final clearance.
5. Please review the Campus Resources when Returning from Medical Withdrawal by calling the Office of the Dean of Students at 740.593.1800 or see below to download this form.
If you have any questions about the process of medical withdrawal and re-enrollment, please do not hesitate to call the Office of the Dean of Students at 740.593.1800.