OHIO Protocols for Vaccinated Individuals
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advises that vaccinated individuals continue current guidance, including testing and wearing masks in public, to protect themselves and others from COVID-19 transmission and infection.
If you have received the COVID-19 vaccine, please register your vaccination.
Per CDC guidance for institutions of higher education, fully vaccinated Ohio University students participating in any in-person academic activities must follow the same asymptomatic testing protocol as unvaccinated individuals.
Quarantine and Isolation
The CDC now exempts fully vaccinated people from quarantine due to exposure for 90 days post vaccine, without symptoms. Individuals are considered fully vaccinated:
- Two weeks after receiving the second dose in a two-dose series, or
- Two weeks after receiving one dose of a single-dose vaccine.
Vaccinated individuals who experience symptoms should get tested and stay away from others.
Vaccinated individuals still will be required to isolate if they test positive for COVID-19.
Masks and Distancing
Anyone gathering in public with people who are not members of their household, regardless of vaccination status, must wear facial coverings and maintain at least six feet of physical distance. The state of Ohio requires that individuals wear facial coverings when in public at all times. Ohio University Policy and City of Athens ordinance also require masks in public places.
According to the CDC, if you are fully vaccinated:
- You can gather indoors in private settings with small groups of fully vaccinated people without wearing a mask.
- You can gather indoors in private settings with unvaccinated people from one other household (for example, visiting with relatives who all live together) without masks, unless any of those people or anyone they live with has an increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19.
- If you’ve been around someone who has COVID-19, you do not need to stay away from others or get tested unless you have symptoms or live in a group setting.
The CDC recommends that fully vaccinated individuals:
- Wear masks, maintain physical distance, and practice other prevention measures when visiting with unvaccinated people from multiple households
- Avoid medium- and large-sized in-person gatherings
Detailed information and an infographic on this page can help you determine which precautions are advised for various types of gatherings — all of which should be small.