Mar 24, 2017
By Michelle Zende
Get ready for one of the most fun-filled weekends of the year, as Moms Weekend is just around the corner! It’s one of the best opportunities for students, friends and family to experience what the OHIO community has to offer.
Moms Weekend begins Friday, March 31, and continues through Sunday, April 2.
“I look forward to this weekend every year,” says Rachel Bowers, a junior studying communication sciences and disorders. “My mom has come down the past two years and this year my aunts are visiting too. It’s always exciting to show them around campus and go to the fun events.”
The OHIO community will be offering several events and shows throughout the weekend to enjoy with friends and family.
Here are a few of the events taking place:
- What’s better than sipping wine and painting? Joining Canvas Uncorked on Friday from 6 to 9 p.m. to raise awareness for Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA). The event will take place at Walter Hall Rotunda and all proceeds will go to Adyn’s Dream to help other families in the Athens area. Stop by to enjoy a food demonstration, wine pairings and live music. Registration is $40 per person. Ages 21 and over only.
- Get ready for the women comedians of OHIO to make you fall out of your seat laughing because the annual “Don’t Tell Dad” Comedy Show by Blue Pencil Comedy is back! The event will take place on Friday from 7 to 9 p.m. in the Baker University Center Theater.
- Want even more laughs? Stroll on over to Athena Cinema to catch the beloved classic, “The Princess Bride.” Screenings will be held on Friday, 7 to 10 p.m. and Saturday at 3 p.m. Tickets are $7 per person.
- The 17th Annual Moms Walk for the Cure, benefiting Susan G. Komen Columbus, will be held Saturday at Ping Center. Registration, T-shirt pickup and pre-walk events will begin at 9 a.m.; the walk will start at 10 a.m. Following a speaker, the walk will loop around campus and the bike path. There will also be a raffle with great prizes so get out there to raise awareness for breast cancer. Cost is $15 for registration and a T-shirt.
- If you and your mom would rather spend your morning dancing for a cause, then join Moms Weekend “Zumbathon” on Saturday from 10 to 11:30 a.m. at Ping Center. Put on those colorful leg warmers and help raise money for Susan G. Komen Columbus. General admission is $8.
- The Athens County Humane Society presents the 3rd Annual Woof and Wine Tasting on Saturday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Athens Uncorked on Station Street. There are three, 1 1/2-hour wine tasting sessions where attendees will have the opportunity to taste five different specialty wines. Appetizers will be provided as well as a complimentary printed wine glass that says Athens Uncorked. There will also be a photo booth and raffle baskets available for entry. All proceeds will be donated directly to the Athens County Humane Society. Tickets are $26 per person.
- Keep up with the latest trends at Moms Weekend Fashion Show, by the Fashion Associates on Saturday from noon to 2 p.m. in the Baker University Center Theatre. Local Athens shops will support the fun fashion show and admission is free.
- Get your sweet tooth ready for “Chocolate Fest!” The event takes place from 2 to 5 p.m. Saturday at Ping Center. Treat yourself to various chocolate delicacies provided by vendors throughout Athens. Proceeds go to the OHIO Division II Hockey Team. Food, beverages, games and music will be provided. Admission is free.
- AVW Productions present, “The Evening Show!” Enjoy this variety-type comedy show for free on Saturday from 5 to 7 p.m. at Bobcat Student Lounge in Baker University Center.
- If you and your mom liked “Pitch Perfect,” then you will love the Title IX Moms Weekend Concert. The women will be singing their favorite tunes on Saturday from 7 to 8 p.m. in the Baker University Center Theatre. Before the concert, go support the Women’s Ensemble at 2 p.m. in the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium.
- Come enjoy the hysterical “Broadway’s Next H!T Musical” on Saturday at 8 p.m. in Templeton-Blackburn Memorial Auditorium. The New York Times calls the show ‘Hilarious!’ Time Out NY says ‘At last! A musical of, for, and by the people.’ Under the direction of improv veterans Rob Schiffman and Deb Rabbai, this is the only unscripted theatrical awards show where master improvisers gather made up, hit song suggestions from the audience and create an evening of humor, music and laughter. BNHM has been seen recently at The Triad, Tribeca Film Festival and at the New York Musical Theater Festival, among many others. Tickets are $20.
- Enjoy a delicious pancake breakfast on Sunday from 9 a.m.to noon in Baker University Center 240. Tickets for the Moms Weekend Pancake Breakfast are $8 per person. All proceeds from this event will help provide running shoes to underprivileged children in the local Athens community.
- On Sunday, swing by Walter Hall Rotunda from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. for Heels & Health, presented by Unified Sisters, Women’s Center, MAPS and ABCD. This formal charity brunch is to help raise money and awareness for the Breast Cancer Fund of Ohio. Tickets for students are $15 and tickets for non-students are $25.
- Enjoy the many events Outdoor Pursuits has to offer, including Moms Weekend Conkle’s Hollow Day Hike through the Conkle’s Hollow hiking region in the Hocking Hills. The fun begins at 10 a.m. on Saturday and participants will meet at the Ping Center prior to the hike. Tickets are $20 per person and include transportation, guide staff and a light meal. Students will need a ticket to attend.
For additional Moms Weekend information and events, please visit: https://www.ohio.edu/parents/family-weekends/moms-weekend.cfm