Feb 25, 2014
From staff reports
The following message was sent by Ohio University Registrar Debra Benton to University faculty and staff on Monday, Feb. 24, to serve as a reminder of upcoming final examination dates and grade submission deadlines.
Dear University Faculty and Staff,
1. Classes that do not meet for the full semester (i.e., end prior to the semester closing date) may have final grades submitted beginning the last day of the class. Grades are entered through the Faculty & Advising Center, and the grade deadline remains the same (Wednesday, May 7, at noon). Grades are available to students within 24 hours of being submitted through the Faculty & Advising Center.
2. Please check the grade eligibility code for each of your courses. If the grades you plan to give and communicated to students on your syllabus do not match the grade eligibility code and eligible grades on your class list in the Faculty & Advising Center, please contact the Office of the University Registrar at 740.593.9627 for assistance as soon as possible.
3. If a student never attended or stopped attending class please enter one of the following grades:
• FN (failure, never attended)
• FS (failure, stopped attending)
DATES TO REMEMBER:
Saturday, April 26, 2014 – Grading System available through the Faculty & Advising Center for classes meeting the full semester
Saturday, April 26, 2014 – Last day of classes
Monday, April 28, 2014 – Friday, May 2, 2014 – Examination period
Saturday, May 3, 2014 – Semester closing date
Wednesday, May 7, 2014, at 12:00 noon – Deadline for final grades
Please submit final grades by 12:00 noon on Wednesday, May 7, 2014. Final grades must be submitted through the Faculty & Advising Center. The system is accessible 24 hours per day, 7 days per week starting Saturday, April 26, 2014. Occasional planned outages may occur during the normal outage windows of Tuesday, 6:00 p.m. – 12:00 a.m. and Saturday, 12:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. To submit grades, visit www.ohio.edu/registrar and select Faculty & Advising Center. Once you have signed in with your OHIO ID and password, select Teaching: Class List/Grading. If you have any questions about the system or would like training, please email email@example.com or call 740.593.4199. Instructions are available online at http://www.ohio.edu/registrar/onlinegrading.cfm.
All grades must be submitted by the scheduled deadline, without exception. This includes:
• “PR” grades for classes in progress,
• “I” grades for incomplete coursework,
• “FN” (failure, never attended) for students who have never attended,
• “FS” (failure, stopped attending) for students who stopped attending without official withdrawal.
Submitting grades late or not at all results in undeserved hardships for students. These can include denied degrees, lost job opportunities, delayed transcripts, problems with acceptance to other schools, being dropped from the next term’s classes if the course is a requisite, and denials of eligibility for financial aid, athletic participation, and insurance discounts. Grades not submitted by the deadline result in a letter being sent to the department chair/school director.
Athens Campus final examination schedules are available online:
Athens Campus Final Examination Schedule Spring Semester 2013-14
Athens Campus Combined Sections Examination Schedule Spring Semester 2013-14
Deviations from the final examination schedules can be made only with prior approval of the dean of the college and must be cleared with the Office of the University Registrar – Scheduling Division. Each examination period is scheduled for two hours. For University policy covering final examinations, see section IV, item C, #1 of the Faculty Handbook.
Regional Campus final examination information/schedules are posted by each campus:
Chillicothe Campus Final Examination Schedule Spring Semester 2013-14
Eastern Campus Final Examination Schedule Spring Semester 2013-14
Lancaster Campus Final Examination Schedule Spring Semester 2013-14
Southern Campus Final Examination Schedule Spring Semester 2013-14
Zanesville Campus Final Examination Schedule Spring Semester 2013-14
Multiple Final Examinations: Students may not be required to sit for more than three final examinations in one day. Should a student be scheduled for more than three examinations in one day, the student may seek relief from the instructor with the examination scheduled latest in the day. This process must be initiated and completed by the beginning of the thirteenth week of the semester. The instructor will provide an examination for the student at a mutually agreed upon time during the examination period.
Debra M. Benton