Sep 17, 2012
By Ashley Ferrell
Beginning Friday, Sept. 21, Fall Parents Weekend encourages parents to discover what being a Bobcat is all about.
"I am a senior so I am really looking forward to Parents Weekend this year," said Hannah Rose, a strategic communication major. "My parents always enjoy their visit here. I just can't believe it will be their last!"
As for others, it may be their first Parents Weekend, but time flies so be sure to take advantage of the first family weekend of the year. There are plenty of events going on throughout the weekend that will keep parents entertained and in the Bobcat loop.
For sport lovers in the family:
• OHIO Hockey will battle it out in Bird Arena with the John Carroll Blue Streaks at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 21, and again at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 22. Student tickets are $5 and all other tickets are $7. Doors open at 6:45 p.m. Children under 5 are free.
• There will be a Parents Weekend Golf Outing at 9 a.m. Saturday morning at the Ohio University Golf Course. The cost to participate in the 9-hole scramble is $35, which includes green fees, a golf cart and a catered lunch from Miller's Chicken. Raffles and competitive hole prizes will be awarded.
• At 2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 22, watch the OHIO Football Team battle the Norfolk State Spartans in Peden Stadium. Kickoff is at 2 p.m. Students receive one free ticket; all other tickets are $30. For ticket and seating information, visit ohiobobcats.com/tickets/.
• Cheer on the OHIO Women's Field Hockey Team vs. Northwestern at noon Sunday, Sept. 23, at Pruitt Field.
Fall is the perfect opportunity here to take full advantage of the beautiful Ohio University campus. Here are a couple of fun ways to do so:
• Join Outdoor Pursuits and Astronomer George Eberts for an enjoyable evening at the Ridges at 8 p.m. Friday, Sept. 21. The night will be spent roasting marshmallows on a bonfire while stargazing and listening to tales of the night sky. A $7 fee includes transportation and snacks.
• Enjoy the waterfalls, miraculous sandstone cliffs and more of the beauty that Old Mans Cave has to offer with Outdoor Pursuits for a day hike through the Old Mans Cave region of Hocking Hills State Park on Saturday, Sept. 22. A $15 fee includes transportation and a guide staff that will depart at 10 a.m. and return at 3 p.m.
As for entertainment, it's covered:
• Enjoy dinner and a show with the family by attending Parents Weekend Dinner Theatre at the Baker University Center Ballroom on Friday, Sept. 21, at 7 p.m. It's a great night out and a perfect way to begin the weekend. All tickets are $15 and include dinner and show.
• Don't miss the special performance of "America's Got Talent" winner Landau Eugene Murphy Jr. at the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 21. The Logan, W.Va., native was awarded the show's top prize after a string of impressive performances of Rat Pack favorites like Dean Martin's "Ain't That a Kick in the Head?" and Frank Sinatra's "My Way."
• From the company that launched the careers of Tina Fey, Stephen Colbert, Steve Carell and more, America's famed comedy troupe, The Second City, is coming to Ohio University's Memorial Auditorium at 8 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 22, with its "Laugh Out Loud Tour." All tickets are $19.
For a full list of events, additional ticket information and the dates of this year's other family weekends, visit http://www.ohio.edu/parents/familyweekends/02.cfm.