Jan 26, 2012
By Lexi Messenger
Get ready for some family fun because Winter Parents Weekend is here again. Show your parents that Ohio University is beautiful in both fall and winter during this special weekend, Feb. 3-5.
"After about five weeks of classes, it's nice for my parents to be able to visit," said Justin Porter, a junior at Ohio University. "I haven't seen them in a while and it's cool to show them around campus."
From art shows to basketball, there's a variety of events planned to please the whole family.
• Admire the School of Art Biennial Faculty Exhibition in the Kennedy Museum of Art on Friday, Feb. 3, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The College of Fine Arts is celebrating its 75th anniversary by featuring work by School of Art teaching, Emeriti and retired faculty.
• Celebrate diversity and culture with the School of Dance and the School of Music at the Second Annual World Music and Dance Festival Friday, Feb. 3, and Saturday, Feb. 4, from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. at the Ridges Auditorium. A steel drum workshop will also be held with Instructor Eric Fountain. This event is free to all OHIO students, faculty and staff.
• The School of Film is presenting the Second-Year Film Screening on Friday, Feb. 3, at 7:25 p.m. at the Athena Cinema on Court Street. Watch some truly captivating films as Ohio University School of Film students show off their talents.
• Two special visiting musicians will perform at the School of Music during Parents Weekend. Tracelyn Gesteland will hold a vocal recital on Friday, Feb. 3, at 7:30 p.m., while Dorian Leljak will hold a piano recital Saturday, Feb. 4, at 7:30 p.m. The free recitals are in Glidden Recital Hall are open to the public.
• Join the Ohio University tradition of Open Stage at the Front Room in Baker University Center. The event starts at 8 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 3. Grab the microphone or just a cup of coffee and join host Bruce Dalzell at the longest running Open Stage in Athens.
• Support OHIO Mens Basketball as the Bobcats try to take down the Central Michigan Chippewas Saturday, Feb. 4, at 2 p.m. in the Convocation Center. Student admission is free.
• Enjoy winter at Bird Arena by participating in recreational ice skating from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 4, and from 1:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 5. Guest price is $4. Ohio University student admission is free.
• OHIO wrestlers need your school spirit as they attempt to come out on top against the Clarion University Golden Eagles at 7 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 4, at the Convocation Center.